A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Point and click adventure pointers

Point and click adventure pointers

Hi,

I'm exploring making a point and click style adventure (i.e. like Monkey Island) in Flash 8. In essence I think that means I want to know how to keep track of a movie clip as it moves around a set route on the screen.

I would like the user to be able to click anywhere above or below the preset route(s) and the character move to the relevant point on the route.

I have made a quick example which illustrates my aim. Please see the attached .fla.

Any advice on where to start looking would be greatly received.
    I.e. how do I program pre set routes? How do I allocate parts of the screen to correspond to specific points on this route when clicked upon.

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

To clarify further, I want to control the movement of a movie clip/series of movie clips along a motion path. Any advice/pointers welcome.
    Thanks

So I am looking for code that will enable the user to click anywhere within the screen and based on the coordinates of the click navigate my sprite/movie clip to that point on the motion path. How do I get started? Where do I look?
    Please advise!

:
    Don't think you want to use a motion path (single start and end point), as you will need something that can branch out.
    Kirupa has a tutorial for something that could be adapted to work for your project.

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/acti...ata_types3.htm

Or you could look at making something tile based.

Also you can try Google for flash as2 point and click engine to look for other solutions.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by champignon View Post
    Hi,

I'm exploring making a point and click style adventure (i.e. like Monkey Island) in Flash 8. In essence I think that means I want to know how to keep track of a movie clip as it moves around a set route on the screen.

I would like the user to be able to click anywhere above or below the preset route(s) and the character move to the relevant point on the route.

I have made a quick example which illustrates my aim. Please see the attached .fla.

Any advice on where to start looking would be greatly received.
    I.e. how do I program pre set routes? How do I allocate parts of the screen to correspond to specific points on this route when clicked upon.

Thanks.
    pyorapiste@kotinet.com