A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need help with "read more" pop up

Need help with "read more" pop up

Hey there. I'm a complete newbie to flash. I happened upon a really cool template online and hoped to pick it up as I go to make a website for my small business.

I bought the template online two days ago. Other than being a bit disconcerted about paying for a template which contains some language in the code stating that at least parts of it are open-source, I'm completely stumped as to how the "read more" pop ups work. Customer Service doesn't respond. I've got the following code attached to an invisible button:

on(rollOver){
    this.gotoAndPlay("s1");
    }
    on(releaseOutside, rollOut){
    this.gotoAndPlay("s2");
    }

on (release) {
    _root.popup_pressed = 1;
    _root.scrHEIGHT = 240;
    _root.scroller.scroller.gotoAndStop(2);
    _root.TM_title = "Services read more 1";
    _root.READ = 1; <-------------------------------this value is different for each button
    _root.scroller.gotoAndPlay("s1");
    }

This appears to redirect to a MovieClip entitled "priv_new" in the "more" layer on the main timeline. "priv_new" consists of layers defining the transitions in and out of the pop-up, with keyframe "s1" being the transition in and keyframe "s2" transition out.

priv_new.jpg

In between those keyframes there is a frame with MovieClip "products111". This consists of the layout for the pop-up including a scroll bar.

products111.jpg

The content of the pop_up is further defined by MovieClip "page_content_scroll" which consists of two layers. The first layer has 20 keyframes, each containing the same text. The second layer contains a the following action in frame 1:

gotoAndStop(_root.read_more_num);

page_content.jpg

I suspect this action script is supposed to redirect to the appropriate frame based on the number value found in the previous action script (_root.READ = #), however regardless of what I do, I can't get it to work. If I change the text of any of the frames, all the buttons have the same result. It will play through all 20 frames in order. So if I change the text found in frame 4 for example and leave the rest of the frames the same, it will show the text found in the other frames and flash the text in frame 4 as if it was spliced into a film reel.

I appreciate any help. I've been going crazy scouring the internet, looking through flash books, and unfortunately I don't know anyone who is familiar with flash.

Hi all. I managed to fix it!! I was right about the actionscript:

gotoAndStop(_root.read_more_num);

After researching gotoAndStop(variable) online and examining the code some more, I was able to figure out that the script should read:

gotoAndStop(_root.READ)

Now it works as it's supposed to. Though frankly, its disappointing that I paid for this template only to have some of the code wrong. I hope I don't find any further errors. Anyways, thanks for anyone who took the time to read my post. And hopefully it will help anyone else who searches the web with a similar problem.