A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The new and improved how have you been / where have you been.

The new and improved how have you been / where have you been.

Me, still working at swishzone. Went up north for my Dad's 80th a while back, Still playing the ztar.

Not suffering fools to well in the music forums. I'm trying to leave them to their own devices but it's hard for me to walk away due to my mercurial nature.

Still at same job here in DC - since that last time I spent any real time here in 08, I've had two kids and finished my Masters degree in CS, so the time hasn't all been wasted.

Only happened by due to near fatal boredom at work. Glad to see a thread I could post in without having to think up a topic.

Hope other oldies come by, would love to hear what everyone is up to.
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

still working on this livecoding thingy down there. now bowing to his majesty html5 and adding js version of it.

btw we had nice storm on the sunset today. I took no pictures, but you can get the idea here (same place, same kind of storm, but two years ago).
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

People started to post actual storm photos to facebook

Nice to see both of you. Funny you'd think that maybe Gerbick would stop by.

Wow this is a lively discussion.

While many were fans of movies like Frankenweenie or Pet Sematary, we all know it's not really possible to resurrect the dead. Except these guys. They expect to become zombies one day.

Grandfather to the stars bigginge's Avatar
    I don't think I've been away from this site for so long before. Not much work in web & design, out playing gigs more than I have since I started playing in the 60s. We've bought our own PA and are hosting open mics and playing local bars, and that's where I'm getting money from these days, and loving it. Went to Romania with my guitar playing chum Bob a couple of months ago to stay at the orphanage in Transylvania that we raise funds for, did a sponsored walk in the hills Us and some of the kids after the walk . Someone lent us a guitar so we'd take it in turns to play a song to them after dinner each night, I loved that, damn wonderful.
    Putting on another concert for them in a couple of months and getting some big local names coming along, bringing a lot of fans so more money raised. So after about 50 years I'm finally a professional musician and entrepreneur.
    To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Love Light Romania Romania Blog

Reads life is treating you well. I did the same thing with blues jams many years back. We had them lined up and going down the street. Everyone wanted a shot at the stage. A few national acts (Buddy Guy, Etta James, Johnny Lee Hooker) would stop by and see what we had to offer. This was all back in the 90's

Grandfather to the stars bigginge's Avatar
    Oh my!! Take me back there - used to listen to John Lee Hooker when Rhythm & Blues was Rhythm & Blues. And Etta's 'At Last' is me and the wife's tune. This afternoon I ran the open mic stage at what I guess you'd call the County Fair, again an amazing array of talent, from a 12 year old girl who asked if we could back her on 'To Make You Feel My Love', to a pretty big local recording artist. And we had a song played on a radio folk show Sally Free & Easy. Just loving it all.
    To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Love Light Romania Romania Blog

It reads like you are having a wonderful life.

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    I'm still here in Lalaland aka Dubai, still flying around the world and generally stalking a few of you in real life

Nice to see you.

I've been in Jamaica with the wife for the last couple of months... my time here got cut short due to a new UI/UX opportunity in Charlotte, NC.

Cornwall Beach, Montego Bay - August 25, 2013

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

wow

Still at the music store (for now). However, I started my own company making hand made guitar picks. Was recently reviewed by guitarworld.com and been busier than ever. Wish I could do this full time.

Damn you must have connections to get picked up by Guitar World. I don't know why but I always thought you worked for one of those middleman music industry supply companies, not on the retail side of things.

Yeah, i'm in the retail side. Totally blows - other than seeing guitars all day, it's like any other POS retail job working with the craptacular public.

I have no connections at guitarworld other than an editor i started talking to on twitter. They were kind enough to do a review after I sent them some samples. Pretty cool people over there. Definitely opened my eyes to know that major publications still have real people working for them, writing about real products, not just those who are willing to spend money to be reviewed/listed.

I know a guy who owns a ma pa music store. Last time I visited it was just him. Before he'd have a second tech/sales guy around or more. As well as a few teachers. He still has them around on the weekends (or so he told me) It was ghost town scary when I came visiting.

Cheap bastard musicians usually go over to Guitar Center with the slave wage crew. They play what ever they are interested in....Then walk out and buy it online. It seems the only way to shake a dime out of resell is repair work.

If your cnc is big enough....start carving out body blocks. I've got another buddy who used to work as a tech and now he's a luthier. Cutting the neck joint is the hardest thing.

Yeah, the mom and pop is being destroyed by online competition. With MAP policies on specific brands, it's almost impossible to compete unless you can differentiate your product line beyond what most carry - very hard to find products that no one else is selling though. And you're right. We've become a window shopping facility where people will hound us for info, they'll try guitars, we'll match pricing, they walk out and buy online...no idea why. It's quite baffling.