A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The new and improved how have you been / where have you been.

Wish I had good news to share but don't. We're stuck in El Paso while my wife attends the Sergeant Majors Academy. There's absolutely d*ck here for work in web development so I've been reduced to applying for any sh*t job I can find. Still no call backs. Probably because I don't speak spanish. I have a shiny new bachelors degree in game art to throw on the pile of skills I feel like I've wasted the last 20 years accumulating.

Quote Originally Posted by board
    Holy crap, 11 years. That's exactly 3rd part of my life.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

07/28/2000 - 13 years, 1/3rd of my life.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Youngins.

Still chilling here in Sunny Singapore and seriously considering retiring from my day job of 8 years as a Large Format Printer, to set up shop in a cosy little corner and promote the game Magic: The Gathering. Somehow it's warm and fuzzy knowing you guys are warm and fuzzy..

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly View Post
    Yeah, the mom and pop is being destroyed by online competition. With MAP policies on specific brands, it's almost impossible to compete unless you can differentiate your product line beyond what most carry - very hard to find products that no one else is selling though. And you're right. We've become a window shopping facility where people will hound us for info, they'll try guitars, we'll match pricing, they walk out and buy online...no idea why. It's quite baffling.
    They just don't understand the difference in quality and perhaps they never will. I had one bad guitar purchase online and I'll never go back to buying guitars online again.

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly View Post
    it's almost impossible to compete unless you can differentiate your product line beyond what most carry - very hard to find products that no one else is selling though.
    We are trying to sell this COLT thing and are hit by the opposite problem. Since noone else is selling anything like this, people do not understand why do they need this tool. No large vehicle to steal the air drag from.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

Quote Originally Posted by realMakc View Post
    We are trying to sell this COLT thing and are hit by the opposite problem. Since noone else is selling anything like this, people do not understand why do they need this tool. No large vehicle to steal the air drag from.
    PR. PR. PR. PR. Find a good PR person and let them run the gamut to put out blog posts, articles to developer resources, create buzz...everything. Don't skimp. Do it now. Just hoping it will run through developers by word of mouth will take too long.

Although I haven't got so many posts here, I used to visit for advice now and then under a different name, especially when I built my first Flash site back in the early days of Ultrashock.
    I'm still living in Japan teaching English conversation. I helped raise a child who has recently moved out and gone abroad, signalling the coming of a new chapter for me. Now just trying to keep busy and help people at the same time through work, hobbies, etc. I recently came back here for some quick advice. I'm curious if people still have a passion for Flash nowadays, like I used to.

I remember that name.

I still carry the torch but it doesn't burn as brightly. I think the final nail in the coffin was breaking down and getting an andriod phone. I wish adobe still made a flash player for android but wishing doesn't make things come true.

well hello there all. I've been away for so long I had forgotten about flashkit. Not sure what made me stop by just now.

I'm now the wisened old age of 35 and am living in Manchester UK and working in the gambling industry. I'm head of system engineering so they finally dragged me away from the software side and now I do both.

I am married and have two kids with another on the way in january.

Although I'm all mature and sensible now, I still feel like I am 16.
    Living the dream

Welcome to flavour country
    Wow, I haven't posted here in nearly a decade. I haven't done any Flash dev in loooong time, but I was going through my old posts and reminiscing about what a glorious time I had on these boards back in the day. Nothing has ever quite compared.

My report is that I have nothing to report.

Just thought I'd check what's going on here.. Frets, Gerbick, yeah.. sweet memories comin' back

Me, pretty much in the web scene. The last flash work I did should be - www.anasbukhash.com

Nowadays, working freelance now and then.. mostly web design and wordpress.

Going on, seeing where life takes me...
    What's that? You haven't seen my site yet?? Here you go - Click Me!

It's good to see you. I always get a kick when someone comes back to the CL.

Grandfather to the stars bigginge's Avatar
    Looking after my wife who's just had a minor op, sitting at my Mac by a coal fire with the first icy blasts of winter blowing outside and I thought I'd check in here again, where there's a few more names from the past dropped by. So in the last few months we went to Spain and visited my cousin Lisa at the house she built on a mountain:

Went riding for the first time on some of her horses:

Been playing in some odd but fun places:

Went back out to the orphanage in Transylvania with my youngest son Nathan, where we repainted the dining room and went for a road trip to meet some Roma families - this is Tarzan, who I met in April, with his family:

Then in the evening we'd drink some of the local wine and play and sing to some of the children at the orphanage:

Tonight we're running our open mic night, doing a radio show Saturday lunch time and another concert for the kids in 2 weeks, with a few other gigs in between.
    So life's busy and a lot of fun.
    To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Love Light Romania Romania Blog

Hope for the Mrs to have a speedy recovery.

Otherwise..... WHAT A GREAT LIFE. Travel, fun, guitar doesn't get much better.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoRmedia View Post

Although I'm all mature and sensible now
    say it isn't so, Bruce.
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Phew, finally remembered my password on the fifth attempt.

I've been doing nothing much really since I finished with SwishZone, bangin' away in Photoshop everyday and taking pictures whenever I can.

I'm spending most online rec time at deviantArt admiring the work of much better photographers and artists, and sometimes getting the ****s with conservatives in their politics forum, although I really can't be bothered much after 10 years of debates here.

You can see a few of my images in a couple of galleries at daportfolio -
    http://davidp52.daportfolio.com/gallery/848441
    http://davidp52.daportfolio.com/gallery/848616
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

Grandfather to the stars bigginge's Avatar
    Excellent photographs, really enjoyed them.
    To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Love Light Romania Romania Blog