A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Self Promotion: Open Source Logging Framework

imagination through stupidity

Self Promotion: Open Source Logging Framework

I posted this project on Google code a long time ago with still no interest. I have always found serious problem with performance and configuration of existing logging frameworks in AS3 so I had decided to build one based on Java standards. What came out of it was a near neighbor of SLF4j and Logback. It provides two levels of behavior injections and the ability to use an xml document to change logging verbosity without having to recompile. It also provides a simple plugin and log appender API. It is super simple to create custom appenders for whichever external logging you may use.

https://code.google.com/p/emoten-fra...meworkOverview
    Nothing to see here, move along.

a long time ago with still no interest
    that's because 99% of people are more than happy with trace.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

imagination through stupidity
    Quote Originally Posted by realMakc View Post
    that's because 99% of people are more than happy with trace.
    That's like saying it is normal to use stdout or System.out for logging. It just doesn't make sense when you are dealing with anything remotely complicated.

I've used this in a number of projects where individual user's logging configuration changes when we want to identify a problem in a sample of our users. So say 5% get more verbose logging and we correlate it later. This is all done without recompiling or managing different binaries. You can also capture events for a single package to specific appenders for remote capture, etc.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

Oh I believe you. I do think not having to recompile to change logging settings is cool, etc. It's just that I don't think it is all so significant. While the program is in the lab, you can do anything, like watch variables, read traces log, etc - it does not matter. And when it is out there in the wild, logs that come from users are almost always useless. Apart from few occasional stacktraces where it is obvious why it fails, I need more information than log can possibly have, always. And mostly users cannot provide that information, so reproducing bugs is pain. I'd be sold on something that can log and load entire program state much more likely
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2