A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: responsive flash website

Designer, Programmer, Musician angelhdz's Avatar
    Ok, im tired talking about the same thing over and over again xD

You WIN. Flash IS NOT DEAD. Now try making a flash as2 website, and try to view it on a laptop, on a desktop, on an android smartphone, on an apple smarphone and on a tablet. Good luck with that!

In my case, I now mastering html5, so my websites will be viewable everywhere, and in case I need to make something in flash, I make an AS3 android application (you have to pay Apple for a developer certificate to make iOS apps -_- )
    Already mastering AS3. It was so fun. Now into Javascript and PHP and all its libraries

like you can't make as3 websites or something... or if you like html that much, why bother with air? there is phonegap.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

Or im not explaining myself well, or you are not understanding me well... of course everybody can make AS2, AS3, AS4, AS5 websites, but not EVERYBODY can view it! Because people are stucked to their smartphones/tablets for daily common ussage ( email, music, messaging, videos, etc) and they uses their computers only for school or job projects (Microsoft word, excell, power point, moviemaker...) , websites are for daily common usage, so websites need to be viewable anytime, anywhere, anyway, and as tablets/smartphones don't hav flash pl ayer support , you will not be able to view any content! So that's why I say flash is dead, but then I apologized and corrected myself and said: Flash is not dead, but AS2 does. AS3 is our salvation, because we can convert our flash movies to android/apple applications (.apk, .ipa) and that way, you can make an url specifically for the mobile version of the website (www.mywebsite.com/mobile) or make a script that detects the device and automatically switches versions.

I think i am being clear now!!! Otherwise, have a nice day
    Already mastering AS3. It was so fun. Now into Javascript and PHP and all its libraries

Hi,

I never ever look at websites on my phone, neither do many many many other people, lots do, lots don't.

Not everybody has these sparkly magical tablets and iphones either, it's just gadgetry we don't really need.

Maybe you might want to start to try answering some of the AS3 questions Angel before it turns to AS4, it might help you get a better grasp of AS3 and help you with your apps projects.

This is my last reply.

Both of your are sounding like if you want hardly to win the discussion or remain like great genius like Albert Einstein.
    I don't know what kind of graph or poll are you both using to determine that people don't really need smartphones/tablets, or that they don't look at websites on these devices. I talk about my country , Puerto Rico. Here, tablets and smartphones are getting the common daily communication and web browsing devices, for that reason, a good webdesigner MUST or SHOULD know his/her end users/public , their needs,their likes and their activities. So if I want my websites and apps are viewable in all possible devices, I have to design for all possible devices.

Fruitbeard: I know AS3 is flash. I then corrected myself and said "ok, flash didn't die, but AS2 did". When i say "flash is dead" i'm referring to the fact that flash websites can not be displayed without Flash Player. In order to display your flash content in all devices and websites, you must convert it, and that's not practical, so , then I can say now "flash alone is dead" (talking in a general way)

In my personal case, I use flash to develop projectors (executables) for PC, for an specific public, and making android apps, but for websites, I decided using html5. No need of plugins. And I can also make scripts that detect the users' device and redirect to the appropiate platform (flash website, html5 website, mobile app, etc) but that's something i'm avoiding for now.

Anyway, whatever, everyone has their own opinions, and I want to be clear in the fact I am NOT supporting the "flash is dead" propaganda, but i like to be realist. I love flash, as2, as3, and i wish longgggg live to it, but the reality is another, while android, iOS, and upcoming mobile operating systems, keep stopping flash player support, or if Adobe don't come up with another solution to replace flash player, the Flash Web Design will keep being affected.

I used to have to do html back in the 20th century. It really is impressive how html can do rounded corners in half the browsers. It's so great how far Apple's internet has come - HTML has rounded corners and users know how to use scrollbars.

Please believe the big three when they tell you html is great and it will be even better in the next 20 years. Learn html. The blue pill goes down much easier than the red.

ha ha, rounded corners argument is silly. you can add them to your css spritesheet. and you always could. and it is great, indeed. and while html is clearly more limited than flash, but it is for your own good even core people from flash community begin to realize that (warning: русский язык). the reason why html is being picked up vs flash is simply because more and more applications (as in "applications of that particular technology" and not "executable things you download from appstore") do not (or no longer) need all those extra possibilities that flash has to offer. by sacrificing those possibilities, you gain extended reach. sure, flash has great install base, and many 1000s of apps use air, but I think there is no single device that can render flash and can not render html, so html wins hands down. everywhere. be it desktops, or mobiles, or even tv sets. I have a friend that works on tv ui and they use html for that; I mean... flash was not even on the list when they were considering their options.

Rounded corners was among the "cool" things that are really coming along in the "cross-browser" issues demonstrated in a presentation at a major design convention.

Yes HTML is the best solution for now. But HTML has always "won" by your standards. It "wins" because it's the default language - the first language. A markup language is the default language because big companies have been fighting for control and can't get anything done.

Look at video games in 1998 and look at Battlefield 4 multiplayer now. Look at websites in 1998 and look at them now. A little disparity in the rate of evolution?

Take your blue pill and be happy with whatever the big companies let you do.

But HTML has always "won" by your standards.
    Yes, and I dodn't quite get it why it has to be html vs flash now.

A little disparity in the rate of evolution?
    Same as with humans evolved from apes in a million years (+ or -) while great white sharks have not change much since dinosaurs. Because they didn't have to.

Really? HTML is a shark? A little challenged in the analogy department?

If you are satisfied with today's websites, yes, html is for you. HTML can show videos and do lots of very very impressive things these days. In another decade, who knows what you'll be able to do with that markup language. Maybe an "if" statement!