A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: responsive flash website

responsive flash website

how to make a flash website responsive one?

Designer, Programmer, Musician angelhdz's Avatar
    I don't have wrote the script, but it's something like setting the x, y, width and height of all the moviclips according to the stage's dimensions or a container movieclip's dimension, and in the swf embed code, you set the swf's movie's height and width to 100% not pixels, and then using Stage.scaleMode = "expand"; something like that... i have never tried it since I moved to html5 to develop my sites, as android is not supporting flash player anymore and apple have never supported it :P
    Already mastering AS3. It was so fun. Now into Javascript and PHP and all its libraries

Maybe angel is doing this before, sounds like he has the good know how to.

html5 easy, is the json and jquery nd the extra css that bigger problem but that no so hard

stage.scaleMode = "noScale"; stage.align = "TL"; I think, then you get stage.stageWidth/Height changing. that's AS3, though, check the same for AS2 in docs.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

Hi,

Well done Terrenceing.

What is a responsive website anyway, you asked the same question in the html section Angel !!!

Stage.height
    Stage.width

for AS2

Flash isn't dead, it's just not being used on most of the money making schemes, ie mobile phones.

True that Terrencing, with jquery and ajax is a boom!!!

Fruitbeard: Responsive website is when the site adapts its browsers dimensions in whatever device it is being displayed, pc, laptop, tablet, phone, different screen sizes, etc. All the elements, fonts, textfields, movieclips (flash), or DIV, FORMS, TABLES (HTML) resize according to its container's dimension, so the site will always be seen the same way. In html, there are external libraries you can use to achieve this (jquery, ajax, etc) when the browser's window reaches a specific dimension (width & height ) then it applies another style to the site. For example, if the browser's window is the same as a pc or laptop screen, then it will be viewed as always, full size, but when it reaches a lower size, then the main menu disappears, and then an android like menu button is attached, so when pressing that button, the menu items will appear from top to bottom aligned accordingly to the device's browser window width. It's very cool, but I have never tried 100% this in flash, maybe this is a great moment to make it, as I managed to create an android app (.apk) with actionscript 3!!! So flash is not dead as I thought, so I'm approaching AS3 to develop android apps and websites too!!! (While android and apple supports adobe air...)

Take care guys
    Last edited by angelhdz; 10-14-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    Already mastering AS3. It was so fun. Now into Javascript and PHP and all its libraries

Client Software Programmer AS3.0's Avatar

finally someone smart

Quote Originally Posted by fruitbeard View Post
    Hi,

Well done Terrenceing.

What is a responsive website anyway, you asked the same question in the html section Angel !!!

Stage.height
    Stage.width

for AS2

Flash isn't dead, it's just not being used on most of the money making schemes, ie mobile phones.

Exactly. For that same reason, Flash IS dead. Most people nowadays, have a smarphone, a tablet, so basically flash is dead because your games and your sites won't be viewed on these devices. My end users couldn't not view my stuff because 1- no internet on their computers 2- no computer (i'm from Puerto Rico).

But there is a salvation...and its called Actionscript 3.

I managed to create an app for android, and it worked on my android emulator, where flash websites doesn't work because no flash player support. The only "con" than i see coming is, if android or apple leave Adobe Air support. Otherwise, everything's gonna be right.

************************************************** *************************************
    do {
    Me = developAS3Apps;
    }

while (android:Object + apple:Object.Support == "AdobeAir") {
    trace("Adobe Air Support by 10-6-2013");
    }

if android or apple leave Adobe Air support
    doesn't matter since air is now built in your app itself on android (aka "captive runtime") and there was never any air on ios (it was always built in app itself).

Quote Originally Posted by realMakc View Post
    doesn't matter since air is now built in your app itself on android (aka "captive runtime") and there was never any air on ios (it was always built in app itself).
    In that case...GREAT!

In other words...AS2 is dead. AS3, not. What's next, AS4? And then we have to forget all about AS3 and learn a new language?

Flash isn't dead. The simple fact is Flash is cross-browser programming (don't get into it with me, in today's world it's programming). Until there is a better way to program a site, Flash rules. Javascript driven, browser specific, css enhanced, html is nowhere near Flash. The mere fact that you have to code for each browser and os alone, makes Flash so superior to html, it's not even a contest. It's like comparing computers to magazines.

"Flash is dead" is the dream of back-end coders who have been jealous of front-end flash since the skip-intro days. Apple blocked flash so their ultra-weak new computer (the iphone) wouldn't crash everytime it tried to load an average flash site. It's all about money.

Learn flash and learn to code. You can always code.
    Last edited by moot; 11-09-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    "Flash is dead" is the dream
    I have made this site about it some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by realMakc View Post
    I have made this site about it some time ago.
    You are very right. Flash isn't dead, not completely. But the technology has evolutioned, people mostly use smartphones and tablets, and smartphones and tablets don't have flash player support, so, you can't view your flash content there, unless you export it for adobe air, android, iOS, using flash cs6, flash builder, flash develop, flex, etc...

Because of this, I say flash is dead, but not the Actionscript 3, unless you found a solution to view flash content on these devices.... am I missing something? Otherwise....R.I.P. Flash

Quote Originally Posted by angelhdz View Post
    am I missing something?
    Yes, you do Try visiting that site on iPad.

I'm glad you posted angel, because it reminds me that people miss the point.

Saying Flash is dead is like saying programming is dead because that's what Flash is. Is programming is dead on computers?

"Flash is dead" is the propaganda of the companies that profit from HTML. Why do you have to go to an "app store" to load what is exactly the same as a flash website? Because that's how Apple and Google can profit.

If Apple didn't block Flash, you would just go to whatever site and the "app" would load. But Apple needed to make another dollar so they blocked Flash and forced every business in America to spend trillions of dollars. It's just a business move for profit. It has nothing to do with your experience or progression. It's just about money.

Most apps are the same as Flash, programmed and compiled (I know there are html apps). Are apps dead?

Why do you have to go to an "app store" to load what is exactly the same as a flash website?
    1st, from iphone user perspective, apps are far less distracting. When I am browsing, I can't see shit thanks to safari bars, then when I touch the screen, I interact with both safari and content, randomly going back to another page when I did not intend to... This can be summed up as "I hate safari on ios". 2nd, safari eats device resources for no reason when I only want to play my game. Apps rule.

In fact, if flash could be on app store, opening swf content outside of safari in fullscreen, like youtube app does with videos, I'd be happy. But, I guess, there is too many flash content that requires correct html context to function properly.

Hey buddy,

I agree with you!!! I know that apple blocked flash player, android removed flash player support, all because of $$$...
    But what I mean is that flash "ALONE" is dead, because if you want to make a website viewable in ALL DEVICES, you can't anymore, because for viewing flash content on these devices, you have to install 3rd party pplugins/apps/addons...

So that's why I say flash is dead, i tried your website http://makc.github.io/isflashdead/ in my android emulator (Bluestacks) and i recieved an IMAGE instead of a Flash movie, with the text "Is flash dead? YES...because andoird and apple doesnt have built-in flash support anymore!!!!

So if you want to make a website viewable in all devices, you have to move on to HTML5 ...and its a pitty, i don't like that idea, flash is powerful, and filled with great functions, html5 will never be compared with flash.

In my personal case, I had to redesign a client's website from flash to html5, so now it is viewable in tablets, smartphones, computers, etc.. but now im making android apps with AS3...so i can say flash is dead, but AS3 is the salvation! Unless adobe air makes a way of publishing a .swf for browser, flash websites will be in hibernate mode :/

Unless adobe air makes a way of publishing a .swf for browser
    well there is shumway, and cool people are workng on it, so it might just work someday.

Hi,

Angel, AS3 is Flash

Flash is dead is a great piece of propaganda. For everybody that doesn't program, computers are black boxes. When the guy that gets the credit for creating the magic black boxes tells unknowing users that Flash is bad, why would they argue?

Programming, obviously, is not dead. Creating one compiled program ("website") that runs on all devices and browsers is obviously the best solution for everybody (users mostly).

The only way Flash could die is if something better beats it. How can Microsoft, Google, or Apple make their own Flash and get it past the other two?