A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Which page style is better please?

Which page style is better please?

Hi,

Could anyone do me a favor and let me know which page style is better, please, and why?

This one or the test one?

It's only a simple change of title locations but I need opinions other than my own.

Cheers,

Grant

Guess you'd have to define "better."

But I like the first one.

I don't see the difference. But I hate the line of spaced out letters. Neither clickable nor readable. Why is it there? For google?
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

Sorry. Please remove this post if you can.
    I replied to Steve without quoting his reply.
    I don't know how to delete this particular post.
    Sorry.
    Last edited by Prominence; 10-31-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: I screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Guess you'd have to define "better."

But I like the first one.
    Thanks a lot. Much appreciated. By better I mean - more pleasing to the eye, or more comfortable to read, understand or navigate.
    I get plenty of visitors but quite a few leave quite quickly (which of course is fair enough, so long as I'm not doing something too detrimental). In the past and up until recently, I had images instead of worded titles at the top of each column. So I'm hoping the worded titles now make things easier to understand with less guess work. It's not so ideal or usual to have a site containing different topics. The 2 page examples are now just a similar variation of choices for the updated style type. I'm a realist, so I understand my enthusiasm is higher than my design skills, styling abilities and choices. I asked a few close friends but they all seem to share different opinions, so I thought I'd ask online. Thanks again. I much appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by realMakc View Post
    I don't see the difference. But I hate the line of spaced out letters. Neither clickable nor readable. Why is it there? For google?
    Thanks a lot for letting me know. I expect it does help Google, yeah. I'm reluctant to remove it completely, but I recently separated the words with / between each category. Maybe that makes it seem more like a menu?
    Before it was a continuous sentence seperated with only commas (,). I'll change it back to commas and see how you think when and if you next see this post.
    Thanks for the upfront criticism, that's exactly what I need.
    Cheers.

the thing that makes me hate it is not / or , separators but spaces between letters. it's way harder to catch where the word begins or ends this way, I suppose my brain is trained to use space for that.

upd: again, when you said / makes it look more like menu, maybe you're right, but maybe I was just trying to hover it thinking, if that is menu it must change the appearance in response to mouse and then I would notice where the words or groups of words begin/end better.
    Last edited by realMakc; 10-31-2013 at 08:58 PM.

OK. Cheers. It's the page style CSS turning everything into capital letters on that line. I'll play around and see if it's better with all caps turned off. Much appreciated.

This is the first time I've considered the spacing (between letters) on that line. So, it's good to know. .
    Last edited by Prominence; 10-31-2013 at 09:03 PM.

I have updated the post above just when you replied.

Yeah. I know. I keep doing the same. Cheers. I'll pop back and forth and reread stuff now and then. I appreciate your time. I'll look into changing the letter spacing and capitalization of all of the sub headings and see if it looks or seems better. It might take a while.

I changed the spacing and capitalization and played around with it and it looked worse in most scenarios. I'll keep the front page as it is for now. I've also removed the test page now as I've slightly changed the main one. Thanks for replying.

If anyone has any other criticism about any part of the site, design, functionality, etc. please let me know. It's very much considered and appreciated.

Cheers.