A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I broke my neck.

I broke my neck.

Hi all, been a while.
    Around the end of July my fiance wrecked my car while drunk driving, and then she left me.
    The first night she was gone i was bored so i went and rode my bicycle, i had been riding for about an hour when i wrecked.
    I flipped face first forward into the concrete, breaking my nose and my neck. It damaged my spinal cord and gave me a hematoma in the right side of my brain damaging my motor control. I was completely paralyzed for almost two months. I have been slowly regaining control of my body, my my left side is still a little stiff and weak but i can move everything, my right side is probably 95% back to normal. I was in a hospital for a month, a rehab for a month, and i am still in a nursing home that i have been in for a month.
    I can walk a little with a walker and have been going to work almost every day.
    I get better every day and hope to be back in my home by December.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

WOW... What a story... Sounds like you're on the road to success. Good luck to you.

There must be something in the air. Member on another site tried to stop a car with his bike and lost. He wasn't injured as badly as you but was in the hospital for over a month. His helmet saved him.

random25. I've worked for 2 quadriplegics in the past, some 10 years ago. I'm fortunate enough not to have broken my neck, and you are of course fortunate enough to be able to move everything after your ordeal. Congrats. If you need to identify or relate to others in relation to spinal injury, my old good friend can be found at http://www.dannymurphy.com.
    He's a really cool advocate for the disabled. You might check out his Facebook page or YouTube videos.
    All the best and good luck. It would be interesting to read a follow-up sometime in the coming weeks.
    Sincerely.

Damn, what a story,. That's a rough way to go.

when I read these stories where people go back to preceding events, I always ask myself a question, why do they stop at particular event? why not go back another day and examine deeper causes? here we have the guy who broke his neck because he was riding his bike distressed because his girl left him because (apparently) they had a fight over his wrecked car, which she wrecked because she was drunk. The poster stops here to (as it seems) blame his girlfriend for this whole chain of events. But, why not go deeper and tell us why she was drunk? Was it because she was partying hard with her friends? Why he was not there with her to take her home? Or was it because they had yet another fight and she was upset about him? I can create the whole drama movie out of this post in my head and make any character guilty, in the end....
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

Man that's a sh*t deal Random. I remember from our business dealings in the past that you're a good dude so it sucks to hear this. Glad to hear you still had a job to go back to. Take care and get better.

Thanks guys,
    It's been the hardest thing I've had to go through in my life, losing my fiance and the family we had all while being paralyzed and not knowing id ever walk or even feed myself again.
    But it taught me a lot about life and myself, who was really there for me and who wasn't. I was finally able to quit smoking, and i realize that my daughter is the only thing that really matters to me.

realMakc, i like where you're going with that, so some more back story:
    As a child her father was an abusive drunk,
    i dated her for a few weeks when we were around 14, she split up with me because she liked me too much and was afraid,
    as she grew up she had several relationships and 3 kids with abusive men and became an alcoholic herself,
    about 15 years after we originally dated we got back together and fell in love,
    the first year of our relationship i did not realize she was an alcoholic and she lied to me about it,
    the next year and a half i tried helping her to deal with her alcoholism and to get her to be honest with me about it,
    the day before she wrecked my car one of her abusive ex's came to visit his daughter for the first time in three years,
    she became very depressed after seeing her ex and decided to get drunk,
    she rear ended someone on her way to get me from work while driving drunk and lied to me about what happened,
    i found out the accident was because of her drinking and that she had lied to me again,
    i told her the engagement was off until she could earn my trust again,
    she decided she didn't want to hurt me anymore and she was leaving,
    she spent two days packing and i spent two days begging her not to go,
    she said she would be back when she got herself straightened out,
    the first night she was gone i got bored and decided to ride my bike.....

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

thanks, that does it for my curiosity, I think. and, I wish we all could exercise more control over our live choices, especially significant ones. like who do we spent major part of our life with.

Sincere thoughts out to you random25!

Really wish you recover completely and don't let your guard down. Gotta keep strong and move on.

Just so you know, I was reading this article the other day.. I can't begin to imagine how this person would live through -

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/tr...Rn_tFw.twitter
    What's that? You haven't seen my site yet?? Here you go - Click Me!

Banned
    I had my feet broken on 5th,sept but I'm recovered now.

Banned
    It hurts much.

So far I broke pretty much everything... except my neck. Both wrists, a couple times, and once even both at the same time. My right arm, right collar bone-different occasions, my right tibia and fibula, my right foot, right ankle, left hand and finally, after years of thanking God for not breaking my neck or back, it finally happened, I broke my back while ramping a triple on a motocross track and massively over-shooting the 3rd decline. As any of you know who know me, I recovered with full use of both legs in less than a year but my back is still wasted, hurts all day, every day, as does my shoulders, my knees, my right ankle and probably, totally related to my back, my head. I have a headache almost every day. BUT, I'm alive and still kicking so nothing to complain about. Really glad to hear that your recovering Random. Stay positive and you will be fine. As for me, I've given up just about anything that involves flying, and stick to basic trail riding and hiking now a days. Peace brothers!

huh this is some of rude points in your story...!

Quote Originally Posted by Planet View Post
    I broke my back while ramping a triple on a motocross track and massively over-shooting the 3rd decline. As any of you know who know me, I recovered with full use of both legs in less than a year but my back is still wasted, hurts all day, every day, as does my shoulders, my knees, my right ankle and probably, totally related to my back, my head. I have a headache almost every day.
    I used to love rollerskating, but never learned how to jump the ramps. well, I tried once to jump off ~10 meters ramp and failed both attempts I always thought one day I'll be back and learn how to do this, but reading stuff like this I always ask myself, is it worth it. So yeah, planet - was it worth it? Would you still do jumps if you were magically relieved from pain?

Quote Originally Posted by realMakc View Post
    So yeah, planet - was it worth it? Would you still do jumps if you were magically relieved from pain?
    Absolutely! x 2

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    No broken bones, but stabbed in *****, stabbed in Laos, shot in Afghanistan and survived three fatal car crashes one of them doing a 90 miles per hour over a 150 foot bridge at 3:00 a.m., and survived drowning once, so yeah, I have exhausted 8 of my nine lives

Good to see Random25 is getting well...and the rest of you guys as well

Quote Originally Posted by el-Ignoramus View Post
    but stabbed in *****,
    oh look, new board game! "guess what 5 letters country name is censored by flashkit". is that korea? india? will we ever know...

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    I'm as surprised as you are, maybe this certain African Nation had a history with Adobemedia products??

#Getting_Ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by el-Ignoramus View Post
    certain African Nation
    Let's try this list, 5 chars only, shall we:

Benin = B|e|n|i|n
    Egypt = E|g|y|p|t
    Gabon = G|a|b|o|n
    Ghana = G|h|a|n|a
    Kenya = K|e|n|y|a
    Libya = L|i|b|y|a
    Niger = N|i|g|e|r
    Sudan = S|u|d|a|n

ok, not 5 chars, ok:

Algeria = A|l|g|e|r|i|a
    Angola = A|n|g|o|l|a
    Benin = B|e|n|i|n
    Botswana = B|o|t|s|w|a|n|a
    Burkina Faso = B|u|r|k|i|n|a| |F|a|s|o
    Burundi = B|u|r|u|n|d|i
    Cameroon = C|a|m|e|r|o|o|n
    Cape Verde = C|a|p|e| |V|e|r|d|e
    Central African Republic = C|e|n|t|r|a|l| |A|f|r|i|c|a|n| |R|e|p|u|b|l|i|c
    Chad = C|h|a|d
    Comoros = C|o|m|o|r|o|s
    Ivory Coast|Côte d'Ivoire = I|v|o|r|y| |C|o|a|s|t|||C|ô|t|e| |d|'|I|v|o|i|r|e
    Democratic Republic of the Congo|Democratic Republic of Congo = D|e|m|o|c|r|a|t|i|c| |R|e|p|u|b|l|i|c| |o|f| |t|h|e| |C|o|n|g|o|||D|e|m|o|c|r|a|t|i|c| |R|e|p|u|b|l|i|c| |o|f| |C|o|n|g|o
    Djibouti = D|j|i|b|o|u|t|i
    Egypt = E|g|y|p|t
    Equatorial Guinea = E|q|u|a|t|o|r|i|a|l| |G|u|i|n|e|a
    Eritrea = E|r|i|t|r|e|a
    Ethiopia = E|t|h|i|o|p|i|a
    Gabon = G|a|b|o|n
    The Gambia|Gambia = T|h|e| |G|a|m|b|i|a|||G|a|m|b|i|a
    Ghana = G|h|a|n|a
    Guinea = G|u|i|n|e|a
    Guinea-Bissau = G|u|i|n|e|a|-|B|i|s|s|a|u
    Kenya = K|e|n|y|a
    Lesotho = L|e|s|o|t|h|o
    Liberia = L|i|b|e|r|i|a
    Libya = L|i|b|y|a
    Madagascar = M|a|d|a|g|a|s|c|a|r
    Malawi = M|a|l|a|w|i
    Mali = M|a|l|i
    Mauritania = M|a|u|r|i|t|a|n|i|a
    Mauritius = M|a|u|r|i|t|i|u|s
    Morocco = M|o|r|o|c|c|o
    Mozambique = M|o|z|a|m|b|i|q|u|e
    Namibia = N|a|m|i|b|i|a
    Niger = N|i|g|e|r
    Nigeria = N|i|g|e|r|i|a
    Republic of the Congo|Republic of Congo = R|e|p|u|b|l|i|c| |o|f| |t|h|e| |C|o|n|g|o|||R|e|p|u|b|l|i|c| |o|f| |C|o|n|g|o
    Rwanda = R|w|a|n|d|a
    São Tomé and PrÃ*ncipe = S|ã|o| |T|o|m|é| |a|n|d| |P|r|Ã*|n|c|i|p|e
    Senegal = S|e|n|e|g|a|l
    Seychelles = S|e|y|c|h|e|l|l|e|s
    Sierra Leone = S|i|e|r|r|a| |L|e|o|n|e
    Somalia = S|o|m|a|l|i|a
    South Africa = S|o|u|t|h| |A|f|r|i|c|a
    Sudan = S|u|d|a|n
    Swaziland = S|w|a|z|i|l|a|n|d
    Tanzania = T|a|n|z|a|n|i|a
    Togo = T|o|g|o
    Tunisia = T|u|n|i|s|i|a