A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Motion Script, Text, and Movie Clips

Motion Script, Text, and Movie Clips

I am certain that there are many ways to do this, but I do not know the best direction, so I am asking the experts...

I am building a web site that will have multiple text slogans along the top. It goes like this:

"First text line." (Ripple motion script)
    (Fade out)
    "Second text line." (Ripple motion script)
    (Fade out)
    "Third text line." (Ripple motion script)
    (Fade out)

Repeat process from the start.

Should I do all of this inside a movie clip? Is there a better way cascade motion-scripted text banners?

Thank you, in advance for your help!

Paul Stoessel

YES! Exactly that! Do tell how you dunnit and I would be forever in your debt! Maybe I can buy you lunch...

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Seahorn
    This is a quickie...but something like this?

http://actionscript.hobby-site.com/e.../Stoessel.html

Requires FlashPlayer 8 since I use a displacement in lieu of a fade

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Inside each of those textclips in my example is a frame at the end with that same textfield duplicated...when you make copies and change the text...make sure each end frame has the same text as the other in each. It's a quickie but yours with my best wishes dude.

Attachment cleared to save space

My sincerest gratitude is yours, my friend. I hope that one day I may be able to return the favor...

Thank you,
    Paul Stoessel

Inside each of those textclips in my example is a frame at the end with that same textfield duplicated...when you make copies and change the text...make sure each end frame has the same text as the other in each. It's a quickie but yours with my best wishes dude.

If I may try to translate to English what you did in that script, it looks like you created a line of text on a child movie clip and then added the Ripple motion script TO the child clip FROM the parent clip. The result is a Ripple effect on the entire line of text as a single object. This is good and useful, but now I would like to go one step further.

This is what I am trying to do:

1) After launching KoolMoves, select the Text tool and create a line of text.
    2) Double-click on the text and add the Ripple motion effect.
    3) Select "Play movie in browser" and observe how the effect is applied to the individual characters one-by-one, rather than the entire line of text at once.
    4) Have that clip fade out, add another line of text the same way, and so on.

At first, I thought the way to do this was to create child clips within the parent clips. If I wanted three different lines of text, then I would have three child clips; each having their own line of text with a Ripple effect applied from the child clip properties, not the parent, so as to have the Ripple effect applied to each individual letter in the sentence. If the Ripple effect is applied to the child clip from the parent, the parent treats the line of text as a single object - not multiple objects.

I'm sure that this is clear as mud now. I hope that I articulated the situation well enough. Please see the attached .fun movie for an example. Thanks, and the offer of lunch is still open...

Regards,
    Paul Stoessel

Glad to help Paul. Play around with the numbers and have fun!
    Attached Files Attached Files

YES YES YES YES! That is what I was looking for. I do not know how you did it yet, but I will examine things closely.

Thank you (again),
    Paul Stoessel

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Now the counter script is attached to mc1 which spans all frames. It maintains the countdown so set the counter to whatever value fits after you get a ripple setting you like. I started at 150 but adjust up or down as needed by changing the 2 lines that say 150. If you add more text to new frames...be sure to add a dot for mc1 in that frame so it is always in the timeline

Each time the counter hits zero...it fires a

_root.nextFrame();

command to advance to the next frame.

... instead of typing each individual line of "text"... is it possible to apply the "motion scripts" effect to a "dynamic text field"...

for example, in order to load one line of text at a time, from an external file with hundreds of lines of text... possibly html or xml file...

Thank you, in advance for your help,

Larry

Super Moderator
    Motion scripts cannot be applied to dynamic text. You might try putting the dynamic text inside a movie clip and applying the effect to the movie clip.