A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Advice for Beginners

Advice for Beginners

Hello,
    I am hoping to get some advice/direction from those who are more knowledgeable about Flash than myself.

I am a designer & artist and I have been intrigued about Flash for a long time and I want to immerse myself in it but I am not altogether sure as to where I ought to focus my efforts (?). I already have a decent understanding of the basic Toolbar and Menus, etc.

What I'd like to know is:
    1. What kinds of projects should I focus on with a view towards showing them as portfolio pieces in the future? (What might potential employers look for? -It seems that web design ought to be avoided from what I've seen on the web, etc.)

2. Is app development/design not do-able with Flash? (I've seen conflicting stories online.)

3. What are the best paying types of skills with Flash that are "out there"?

4. I like the idea of animation ... but I question whether one can actually get consistent work doing it in Flash. I've got enough hobbies -Is animation a dead end as far as getting work goes?

Can anyone here give me some good advice.
    Thanks

Hello Newby-
    I think you are a little late to the game as far as making a living with Flash. There are some great conversations about Flash and if it is dead or not. According to the flash update from adobe. Flash is still the #1 gaming platform for online games. You can develop apps with flash, but most iOS developers use Xcode. If you are interested in getting into programing, Actionscript is a good language to learn, but will take a long time to master.

If you want to get into Animation, AfterEffects may be a better/more marketable software tool.

Hope that helps-

Be Blessed.