A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Countdown Timer help, please? :)

Quote Originally Posted by fruitbeard View Post
    Hi,

It's because you are using more than one frame without a stop and the number textfields disappear every 1 frame, so use a stop(); at the start of your code on frame 1.
    Ok I will try that when I get home from work. Thanks!

Fruitbeard you are my favorite person at the moment. ! That worked. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

Designer, Programmer, Musician angelhdz's Avatar
    Bah, now you are portraying yourself as a people's hero? You can critizice my scripts in EVERY opportunity you have and now, the first time I laugh about something in this forum, now judge me of criticizing someone else? Bah, just bah. You want to spread the moral, but instead of ending this non sense discussion, you keep replying and replying, because you want always to win everything, like if this was a competition, or a war LOL.

<
    Already mastering AS3. It was so fun. Now into Javascript and PHP and all its libraries

Hi,

Sorry to keep adding to your thread chemical.

Angel, when you downloaded the file as you say you did, then you would have figured out there was a stop command missing (notably with all the error codes) so i don't know how you say it was working perfectly!!!

When you did your test to try a different date and it failed, you were unable to read the code properly and therefore assume it had a bug, which it did not.

We do not mock or criticise your code we point out better methods and optional ways of doing things.

there is no war from this end, it seems it is you that keeps bouncing back with retorts and self doubt.

Not sure what you mean by people's hero, is that what you want to be.

Enjoy your xml, php, html, vb, css, jquery, sql, uml, as2, as3, javascript and any other language you seem to master rather quickly.

I hope you find that peace quickly xx

Hi,

Sorry to keep adding to your thread chemical.
    That's fine.

Ok I'm having another weird issue.

Now my timer is ahead by an hour. I have no idea why? I haven't changed anything in the script. I have one countdown timer that has the right time..and another one I made since we figured out the last problem I was having that is off an hour.. any ideas as to what may be causing this?

Thanks!

Hi,

Best thing to do is attach both *.fla files, so we can compare them.

Hi,

Best thing to do is attach both *.fla files, so we can compare them.
    Actually the original fla in question is doing it too, I just didn't realize it til I was looking at it running last night when it was 11pm and only an hour away from Midnight..and it was more obvious. Oops.

I'm at work with no access to my FLA file with the newly added stop(); command added to it, but if you want to look at the original FLA that I had posted and see what could be causing this that would be great? The only thing that's missing from it is that stop command you had me put in the beginning of the AS. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6r...it?usp=sharing

Also here is a screen shot of the timer working and the time being a head an hour with the computer clock included in.

I'm located in EST, my web host that hosts the swf is located in EST, but the SWF apparently thinks we're all located somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. LOL.

So..any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Hi,

Well I tested it with various different time settings here and they all configure properly, this image is set for tomorrow as soon as the clock hits Friday Attachment 74709

awesome countdown design! I love it!
    Already mastering AS3. It was so fun. Now into Javascript and PHP and all its libraries

Hi,

Well I tested it with various different time settings here and they all configure properly, this image is set for tomorrow as soon as the clock hits Friday Attachment 74709

I think I figured out the problem I'm having and why you're not having the issue I am. It has something to do with Daylight's Savings Time.
    I have the date set to April 29th, 2014. If you change the date in the actionscript to March 9th (which is when the time changes at 2am), the countdown is right and not off an hour, but if you change the date to March 10th, that's when the timer is off.. Is there something we can do to fix that?

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by chemicalscream View Post
    I think I figured out the problem I'm having and why you're not having the issue I am. It has something to do with Daylight's Savings Time.
    I have the date set to April 29th, 2014. If you change the date in the actionscript to March 9th (which is when the time changes at 2am), the countdown is right and not off an hour, but if you change the date to March 10th, that's when the timer is off.. Is there something we can do to fix that?

Thanks!!
    Oh, hah. Now that I think about it..it doesn't need to be fixed. HUR. ok THANKS GUYS.

Angel, when you downloaded the file as you say you did,
    But he never said that, what he said was:
    I copied/pasted your script, and put 4 textfields with names "hrtxt, sectxt, daytxt and mintxt"
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

Hi,

To bring up this old thread again,

Post number 8 sir

since when feb'14 is old thread now? especially when this whole board gets maybe 1 post per day.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

Hi,

You know what I mean Mak, I mean't kind of done and dusted.

I thought i unsuscribed to this post o.O.

Its like RealMakc said. I said I copied/pasted the code, and it worked perfectly. Then, when I downloaded the .fla, i removed the extra frames, so no need for the stop();

I have another question about all of this countdown script now..

Is there a way to make the countdown timer recognize what time zone the person who is viewing the countdown timer is in and countdown to THEIR midnight in their timezone and not my midnight (in EST) ?

Thanks