A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Downloaded SWF Only Displaying Gray Screen

Downloaded SWF Only Displaying Gray Screen

I recently downloaded a .swf file of a game, but for some reason whenever I load it in any player it just displays a gray screen.

I've opened it in ******* SWF Quicker and looked through all the files, and it looks like all the actionscript and files/sounds etc that are needed to make it work, but for some reason it only displays a gray screen that ******* calls a "Dummy Layer".

I've looked through the actionscript in almost all of the objects, but I've been unable to find any reference to a dummy layer or anything like that.

What could be going on here?

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    If you didn't create the game and you don't have legit access to the source (not a decompiled version) then the author probably didn't want people using his work without attribution or pay.

The gray screen you're seeing is most likely a protection mechanism to prevent the kind of casual theft you're attempting.

Contact the author to get permission or start writing your own version from scratch.
    When your swf2exe tool just HAS to work
    there's only one choice... SWF Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Northcode View Post
    If you didn't create the game and you don't have legit access to the source (not a decompiled version) then the author probably didn't want people using his work without attribution or pay.

The gray screen you're seeing is most likely a protection mechanism to prevent the kind of casual theft you're attempting.

Contact the author to get permission or start writing your own version from scratch.
    Theft is kind of a strong word for this. I downloaded it from a site that I have a paid subscription to, not knowing that they didn't offer their users the right to download their files. This is kind of an irritating situation, so I'm trying to find a workaround because the price of their site isn't really worth only being able to view the content for like a month.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    I don't know what site you got it from, but whether you think their prices and policies are fair or not doesn't usually mean you can just do what you like. Did you really read the TOS before you signed up? I have a subscription to Netflix but I'm pretty sure they'd get upset if I thought that entitled me to re-purpose their content however I wanted.

Someone worked hard to produce something you want. If you're not willing or able to produce it yourself then it has some intrinsic value. If you're not willing to pay for it, but you're willing to spend trying to defeat the countermeasures that were put in place to protect it, what does that make you?

If you're using computers to earn a living then someday this WILL happen to you too. How will you react when someone who thinks your prices are unfair and starts stealing your work?
    When your swf2exe tool just HAS to work
    there's only one choice... SWF Studio