A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Permanently storing information

Permanently storing information

I used to be into flash many years ago, but as of late my boss gave me a little side project. Im using Macromedia Flash 8 and Action Script 2.0; My question/problem is this:

Whats the best route to permanently store information in flash? Such as a list of names. I dont want them stored locally on each machine, but rather stored to a .txt file or something similar on the server/web page. For example if my webbpage was "www.randompage.com" id like the info to be stored to "www.randompage.com/names.txt" and I need to be able to edit this "names.txt" and call information from it frequently aswell. The goal is that if I add a name to the "names.txt" from the flash site from one machine, It will be updated in real time so if i access the site from a different machine the information is current. Sorry if im being confusing, like I said its been a few years.

Cheers.

Hi,

This might take some thorough searching and learning as it will take some time if you have little or no knowledge, but I would go for using:
    send flash data to php file, store in a mySQL Database, have php write an xml file, have flash read the xml file;
    php
    mySQL database
    xml

You can be as simple as just using a txt file, but they can become clogged if it gets too large and untidy.( ok for smallish amounts of data)
    xml and flash work like peas in a pod together
    php does all the writing and gathering parts.

.txt works for me on multiple levels as eventually ill have other applications accessing it; that being said, is using .txt possible? if so, can flash "Write" to the .txt file?

Hi,

Yes Flash can write and save to txt file via php in AS2.