A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mochi Media shutting down

Unhappy Mochi Media shutting down

So I got the news today that Mochi Media is shutting down. It totally got me by surprise and actually makes me kinda sad to know it. Though they weren't my main income source it was a great network for spreading the games over the internet, because of the leaderboards (which I used quite a lot and I'll definitely miss) and, of course, the ads which helped bring in revenue.

Also, probably more than that, it's sad because I see it as yet another sign of Flash's slow abandoning (which, by the way I don't think will totally happen because of the lots of Flash content that are out there). Does anyone else feels like this? Do you think Mochi had other alternatives than just shutting down?

Edit: here's the link in case you're interested: Link
    This is MC. His _parents sent him to stop() by the super market to buy some _root beer if he wanted to gotoAndPlay() with his friends at the park later.

This is my Blog!... The gaming Process
    Please check out my site: Giddel Creations

Those are little lame mobile games at best, or should be mobile games, but Mochi doesn't do mobile. On desktop, those games look and feel like bad games from 2004, not 2014. Flash can deploy the game to all tablets and phones where they belong.

You should get into html5 games. Markup and javascript people don't seem to think html5 is dying even though html5 games are terrible and take insane amounts of code to work.
    Last edited by moot; 03-21-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    Those are little lame mobile games at best, or should be mobile games, but Mochi doesn't do mobile. On desktop, those games look and feel like bad games from 2004, not 2014. Flash can deploy the game to all tablets and phones where they belong.

You should get into html5 games. Markup and javascript people don't seem to think html5 is dying even though html5 games are terrible and take insane amounts of code to work.
    Actually you cannot play flash on Apple devices. Never have been able to. Apple have omitted it for a number of reasons like security, performance and quality control. Also because they want to restrict games to the App store only.

But Mochi have never done mobile games always doing desktop indie games. They do have a catalog of 78300 flash games going back a few years though from 2009. Some are very basic old games yes but some of the latest games are alright. But they can't deploy those games to all tablets and phones. Only tablets and phones that support it. (Silly Apple eh!?)

How would one get into making HTML5 games based on their skills and abilities?

Unity is looking promising now it has a Web GUI deal with Firefox to standardize it as a plugin like flash instead of being a separate exe install.

@ PhobiK what will you do about all your games on those arcades now they aren't showing ads any longer?
    You are okay with the webmasters still hosting the game even though ads wont show or you will be making efforts to contact the thousands of arcades where your game could be hosted to negotiate deal with webmaster to change game file for a new swf file that has your ads in it? Or you will not bother because you have pre-game ad to your site or something anyway for the traffic they bring.

I ask because there is a lot of discussion on the TalkArcades.com forums about this atm and what the best thing to do is regarding hosting game devs games so just wondered your opinion on that.

Thanks and hope you find an alternative. Apparantly this site http://zuperads.co/ is going to be the "next Mochi" as per their petition they started on that change site. Link here.

What do you think of this?

Best regards.

Good feedback!

Yes, HTML5 looks like the obvious successor of Flash and it's already growing. Sites are replacing Flash animated content for HTML and Javascript. Even Youtube has changed its player (didn't notice when this happened so it might be a while now).

And Unity looks promising too! I'm actually learning some of that because it looks like the maing go-to place for game development, taking in count such hits like Rust on Steam and some multiplayer browser games were developed in Unity.

As for what I'll do about my games, I don't think I'll be dealing with tons of webmasters to change de file, they can stay like they are. Mochi brought in some revenue for me, but it wasn't my main income, which I've been getting from sponsorships, specific tailored games, and ads from CPMStar (which report way bigger numbers). What I'll really miss about Mochi are their leaderboards, which were so easy to integrate and very useful. The distribution also was something cool about Mochi.

And thanks for the info on Zuperads, I'll probably be checking them out!
    This is MC. His _parents sent him to stop() by the super market to buy some _root beer if he wanted to gotoAndPlay() with his friends at the park later.

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    I think it's a missed opportunity for Mochi to not have moved into mobile and/or HTML games. It seemed like such an obvious move as I don't imagine it'd be that much work to modify their system to accommodate other platforms. I guess it's apparent now that the parent company Shadna didn't want to invest into this arena anymore. They're a Chinese company so they possibly want to focus on the Chinese market now.

http://www.html5gamedevs.com/ is a good forum that's similar to this place but for HTML games. There's a lot of stuff to learn there if you're interested in that.

For Unity stuff, the Unity forum's community is very strong.

I've been dabbling with both. I love Unity but it's a bit of a challenge doing 2D stuff with it, especially compared to how easy it is in Flash. I haven't messed with the new 2D tools yet though!

Totally agree with you. I, too, feel this was a wasted opportunity for Mochi. It seems, as you point out, that Shanda were not interested in Mochi anymore, because as for Mochi employees and founders, I read they made all they could for this not to happen and proposed various options but Shanda was closed to anything.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably give HTML a go and take a peak at those forums if I do . HTML5 is not too appealing for me, though. I prefer some new options and I'm jumping to mobile and (kinda) Unity too. Haven't messed with the 2D part of Unity yet either, but for 3D it looks quite easy to get the hang of, mostly with all the built-in physics and stuff.

I already made my first mobile game but it's not released yet. If you're interested, I used a program called Gideros Studio which implements Lua, which is almost like coding in ActionScript but less strict, and it has a good forum with helpful people too!
    Last edited by PhobiK; 04-07-2014 at 04:49 PM. Reason: a dot

I know this is not a news anymore, just wanted to put my 2 cents. mochi is shutting down and I don't feel sorry for it at all. I won't miss them either. Been with mochi for 4 years and managed to receive one check on 100$ for hosting zillions of their games and making zillions of impressions.
    In-game ads just does not work anymore.
    I also tried game sponsoring, to check out how that works. I say forget about it. some games I recently sponsored, such as pallomila hunter and crazy monkey payback , I mean they look totaly OK. Back in two years and these game would have made me a lot of traffic. But not today, not anymore. it just doesn't pay off. everybody are making flash games today and more and more people are moving towards android.
    Anyways, what I wanted to say, as a publisher and webmaster, shuting down mochi was a big no surprise for me. Things are moving in some other direction, and I really hope they wont go to mobile market as i would hate that. mobile just suck.
    ok .. sorry i got a little bit emotional i guess..
    cheers

I haven't tried the Mochi Media platform. But I hope someday if there's a possibility that the company would stand up again, I won't hesitate to use that platform as I heard that it gained good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Domestick View Post
    Actually you cannot play flash on Apple devices. Never have been able to. Apple have omitted it for a number of reasons like security, performance and quality control. Also because they want to restrict games to the App store only.
    To "you cant have flash on ios" - look up AIR (Adobe Integrated Runtime).

To "they want to restrict games to appstore" - they have just announced webgl support in ios8.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

OH! I miss Mochi very much
    <signature removed by admin>

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    OH! I miss Mochi very much
    Have you been using Mochi for a long time now? I missed the opportunity to use it before the platform was shut down.

Yes! I had been using Mochiads for about six years.
    Last edited by Eager Beaver; 07-14-2014 at 10:49 AM.
    <signature removed by admin>

Quote Originally Posted by Domestick View Post

But Mochi have never done mobile games always doing desktop indie games. They do have a catalog of 78300 flash games going back a few years though from 2009. Some are very basic old games yes but some of the latest games are alright. But they can't deploy those games to all tablets and phones. Only tablets and phones that support it. (Silly Apple eh!?)

How would one get into making HTML5 games based on their skills and abilities?

Unity is looking promising now it has a Web GUI deal with Firefox to standardize it as a plugin like flash instead of being a separate exe install.

@ PhobiK what will you do about all your games on those arcades now they aren't showing ads any longer?
    You are okay with the webmasters still hosting the game even though ads wont show or you will be making efforts to contact the thousands of arcades where your game could be hosted to negotiate deal with webmaster to change game file for a new swf file that has your ads in it? Or you will not bother because you have pre-game ad to your site or something anyway for the traffic they bring.

I ask because there is a lot of discussion on the TalkArcades.com forums about this atm and what the best thing to do is regarding hosting game devs games so just wondered your opinion on that.

Thanks and hope you find an alternative. Apparantly this site http://zuperads.co/ is going to be the "next Mochi" as per their petition they started on that change site. Link here.

What do you think of this?

Best regards.
    I've seen Zuperads somewhere but I can't remember where exactly. Were you a Mochi user in the past? How did you know the exact number of their flash games catalog?