A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I can't draw straight rectangles!

Question I can't draw straight rectangles!

Hello,

For some reason I am no longer able to draw straight rectangles... Whenever I use the rectangle tool, it always creates rounded corners. I have no idea why... I have fiddled with all the properties of the rectangle tool and whatever I do it always starts rounding off the corners!

What am I doing wrong? By the way I'm using Flash CS5.

Look on the "Properties" tab under "Rectangle Options".

Yeah it has the properties for the angles but even if I reset everything as 0, the rectangle automatically rounds the edge as I draw it and changes the angles radius in the property box too. I can't seem to find a way to lock it.

In that case, I'm afraid I can't help you. I'm a total noob at this.

I will say that it reminds me of something that happens on occasion with Adobe Illustrator (a package with which I am very familiar). On occasion, Illustrator just "loses its mind" and screws up all sorts of default behaviors. The only solution is to go through a somewhat convoluted process to completely reset the Illustrator configuration back to factory defaults.

I wonder if Flash does that too.

(Just thinking out loud here...)

Not to insult, but are you sure you are selecting the Rectangle Tool and not another options?
    Some people are like Slinkies, not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

If you are selecting the rectangle tool (you can check by clicking and waiting on the tool to see the other options), try locking the corner radius.

Does the rectangle have a stroke? Your stroke joint may be set to "round" (select the shape and check the properties tab where it says "Cap" and "Join")

Also, try restarting Flash, I get bugs sometimes where it refuses to let me make a value less than 1.

Exactly the same problem here, tried to reset the Applications preferences, nothing will do, these damn rounded corners come back again no matter what.

Also, are you using the standard rectangle tool or rectangle primitive tool? You can't modify the corner radius of a standard rectangle after you've drawn and deselected it, but you can continue to modify a rectangle primitive. Try drawing with the primitive rectangle tool and try hitting "Reset" under the "Rectangle Options" tab in properties. Are you able to modify the options at all?

echoskybound, thanks for the reply.

If I draw using the primary rectangle tool, it will have rounded corners and you are right, clicking on reset will make it rectangular.
    If I select the normal rectangle tool, even though the corners are set at 0 when I select the tool, as soon as I draw bigger and bigger, the corners become rounded as I enlarge the shape while drawing, and the end result is a rectangle with rounded corners.
    The CAP is set to NONE, the JOIN is set to MITER and the MITER to 1.
    I removed the prefs, did the reset as suggested by adobe, even removed all the registry keys for it and guess what, all my rectangles are still rounded by default.

Most annoying bug.

Thank you for all these advices. I'm new here

My circles have corners >.<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It is possible that the rounded corners are inherited from the layer or group it is located in. Select the object itself or go back up the layers tree and open the appearance box at each level. I don't know the terminology but the "selection" circle at the RH side in the layers tree changes to half shaded if properties are inherited from higher up. The same thing happens with transparency. The Fx of rounded corners can be removed at group level ( affecting all objects within it) or just move it out of that group.