A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Looking for help with a random number generation animation

Looking for help with a random number generation animation

Hello, all! Newcomer to the forum here, trying to work out how to start on a new animation. A little over a year ago, I cobbled together a little program, an animation to spice up a random number generator to pick a random game from a random handheld library. It was a bit oddly put together, but on the surface, it worked perfectly fine. As time went on and more sprite animations were added into it, however, it started to go screwy. Black bars appeared over certain animations, despite not being in the spritework itself, and other little glitches began to crop up. A friend of mine gave me an image to help me re-work it, this here, but I'm having a bit of trouble with it.

To clarify, linked here are the .exe file itself and the original .fla file for it. You start it by clicking the jukebox, then on the Lexiabot itself to have it select a random game library and a random game from that library. From there, the red button can be clicked to reset it back to the start, sort of a veto button. I can post the various bits of code if anyone wants to see them, but that part has always worked out well, not at all the bit I'm having trouble with. I'm mostly trying to start over with it, start fresh with a new version, a new background, seen here, and a new setup for how it all works, behind the scenes.

The image my friend gave me is fairly helpful, and I can understand it to some extent. The whole bit about having each set of sprites on their own frame marker and going to them when that particular set gets chosen makes sense, I'm just not sure how to go about doing that and also have the other animations going, the robot moving, the games being shown and displayed. The way I figure it, if there's some way to set a blank spot and have each gif be loaded and unloaded on that spot, as needed, rather than all loaded at once and simply invisible like I have now (which... I admit, was a very inefficient and lazy way to have it all set up), I could get it working fine. I'm open to any tips and suggestions you guys have on how to get this set up, and thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Okay, forget everything else. I just have one simple question, if it's not too much trouble.

I'm sure something like this exists, I just don't have the experience with the program to know what it is. I'm looking for something, an object, a holder, whatever, something that can be edited with actionscript, say, when a random number is pulled, to load the appropriate animated gif. If you can let me know what this thing is, I'd be most appreciative.