A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: getTextFormat issue ... ?

getTextFormat issue ... ?

Hi, I've decided to try out tracing the fonts properties one by one till I find the ones I need but I am probably doing something wrong here because the trace doesn't seem to match the font that displays on screen. I've also tried using getNewTextFormat instead of getTextFormat but besides not really knowing the difference between them, the trace is almost the same and the text keeps being different on screen. What would the correct syntax be, please?

Code:
    stop();

var select:Number;

var aFonts:Array = ["TR", "TB", "TI", "TBI", "CR", "CB", "CI", "CBI", "APR", "APB", "API", "APBI", "TMR", "TMB", "TMI", "TMBI", "VR", "VB", "VI", "VBI", "AR", "AB", "AI", "ABI"];
    select = Math.floor(Math.random() * aFonts.length);

this.createTextField("my_txt", 1, 100, 100, 300, 100);
    my_txt.multiline = true;
    my_txt.wordWrap = true;
    var my_fmt:TextFormat = new TextFormat();
    my_fmt.font = aFonts[select];
    my_fmt.size = 24;
    my_fmt.bold = true;
    my_fmt.italic = true;
    my_fmt.color = 0x000033;
    my_txt.text = "This is a test.";
    my_txt.embedFonts = true;
    my_txt.antiAliasType = "advanced";
    my_txt.selectable = false;
    my_txt.setTextFormat(my_fmt);

var my_fmt:TextFormat = my_txt.getTextFormat();
        for (var prop in my_fmt)
        {
            trace(prop + ": " + my_fmt[prop]);
        }

trace("----------------------");

attaching prove

No problem about that.... I'll solve it in time, but one last question, please

I'm trying to loop a function as soon as the alpha from my text fades out completely, but I've read somewhere that alpha may not reach exactly 0 and don't know how to handle this problem.

this is the function i have in the main timeline:

Code:
    function attachClips():Void{
        attachMovie("independencia_mc","independencia",this.getNextHighestDepth(),{_x:200, _y:350});
    }

attachClips();
    and this is in an attached clip that calls the fadeout function onSoundComplete:

Code:
    fadeOutInd = function():Void{
        trace(ind._alpha);
        trace(ind);
        new Tween(ind, "_alpha", None.easeNone, ind._alpha, 0, 2, true);
        if(ind._alpha == 0){
        ind.removeTextField();
        _parent.attachClips();
        }
    }

but it doesn't work and I don't remember, or don't know how to get the alpha's trace in the conditional statement so I have no clue whether it reaches 0. A way to repeat this would be appreciated, the final objective is to have it run endlessly showing up on any spot on stage until the user clicks on the screen to close the window.

Attachment 74849

There's an event fired when a tween completes - onMotionFinished. Is that what you need?

Here's tut on tweens that shows using that function: http://www.republicofcode.com/tutori...enclasseasing/

Use separate functions so you can reuse.

Code:
    var tweenMain: Tween;

tweenMain = new Tween(myObject, "_alpha", Elastic.easeOut, 100, 0, 1, true);

tweenMain.onMotionFinished = fTweenMainComplete;

fTweenMainComplete() {
    	trace("fTweenMainComplete()");
    }

Thank you so much again, Fruit.

Now I just need to play around with the fonts, I guess. I did look at the links you sent before, but to be honest I haven't read them completely as I thought I couldn't see anything related to which fonts to use.

Did you see my previous post with the pic? It traces italic sometimes and you can clearly see it isn't slanted at all.

Hi Cap,

Moot answered the last one, but anyway.
    The reason the font is not italic and it displays italic or vice versa is because the font that has been chosen from the array is not set to be italic in the library, and you have set it to be italic in the italic array. true/false

Think about it Cap.

morning, Fruit. I am thinking about it. I thought I finally did assign italic, bold and both right in the library. All the fonts I am using are properly linked now (or that's what I thought) I am on my way to hand a resumée so I'll check when I get back home, but I believe my attached file should still be posted and I haven't changed anything about the fonts. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Hi, sorry, Moot, I never saw your post... thanks. Yes it is. I actually had used onMotionFinished before, but I didn't remember. Thanks.

Any ideas on the font issue? I'm pretty sure I have embedded them properly and I'm willing to test them one by one using the textGetFormat method, but Fruit says not all fonts can be embedded and even though he send me a couple of links, I haven't understood his reply this morning.

What are you trying to do exactly in your app?

You're trying to assign a random font from a list of fonts?

Make sure you're embedding the correct font.

Hi,

Yes, exactly. My mistake. I keep forgetting to link them properly besides not being sure which allow bold and italic.