A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is Macromedia Flash 8 still usable?

Hybrid View

Is Macromedia Flash 8 still usable?

Hi
    I want to start making online comics. Some years ago I used to use Macromedia Flash 8 and that's fine for my purposes.
    I want to make simple zooming animation, rollovers and interactivity with simple line drawings.
    I noticed you can download it for free these days, but I wonder if the output will be usable across platforms.
    I have not done flash work for about 10 years. I would not want to start the project to find the files are not usable.
    Can anyone advise me on this?
    I very much appreciate it.

You should get Adobe CC. For a monthly fee ($50?), you get any adobe software you want.

Yes, version 8 will work where normal .swf work.

.swf doesn't work on phones and pads (in general). If you have CC, you can create ios and android apps out of your .fla. There's built-in stuff to handle everything for that conversion.

CC also has tools to create html5 animations.

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    You should get Adobe CC. For a monthly fee ($50?), you get any adobe software you want.

Yes, version 8 will work where normal .swf work.

.swf doesn't work on phones and pads (in general). If you have CC, you can create ios and android apps out of your .fla. There's built-in stuff to handle everything for that conversion.

CC also has tools to create html5 animations.

That's like charging people $50 a month to enter a supermarket, regardless of what they buy.
    Over two years, I would pay $1200 for flash, and I'm not going to do that.

Yeah, when most people spend more than $200 a month at a supermarket, a $50 a month deal is great. They now use $400 a month because it's included in the $50 price.

Most web developers must use multiple products. The products I have to have to work are Flash, Photoshop, Scout, Media Encoder, Illustrator. Because I have access to them, I also use Dreamweaver, Premiere Pro, Edge Reflow, Edge Animate, Edge Code, etc.

So, if you're just learning Flash, and don't need to get a job in it, yes, you can use Flash 5.5.