A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: open local PDF inside Air iOS app

Interactive Software Developer

open local PDF inside Air iOS app

I am developing an AIR for iOS app for the iPad. My client would like the app to open a local PDF file within the app, rather than launching an external app (such as Adobe Reader). This is to give a seamless experience when using the app. I've seen that distriqt.com produce the 'PDF Reader' Native Extension based on www.vfr.org. VFR appears to have a series of interface controls that open along with the PDF, which I don't require. I emailed Distriqt a week ago to clarify, and have had no response.

Does anyone know of any other solutions to open a PDF inside an AIR iOS app?

Are other apps, other than pdf editor apps, opening pdfs "in" the app?

Just open the pdf the way it's meant to be opened, in pdf reader. If you really need to "read" a pdf in your app, extract the content from the pdf on the server and pass to app in xml or jpg.
    Last edited by moot; 05-07-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Interactive Software Developer
    I've managed to load a PDF successfully inside my AIR iOS app, using the code from http://thatsthaway.wordpress.com/201...1/#comment-102.

However, I've just come across a weird feature / bug when viewing a PDF using stagewebview. I have a PDF that contains several internal hyperlinks, each navigating to a page within the same PDF document. If I select any of the hyperlinks, they do jump to the intended pages. However, if I reselect the same hyperlink again, it no longer works. If I select a different hyperlink, and then reselect a previous link, it will then work, but if I select the same hyperlink twice in a row, without selecting a different hyperlink in between, the link fails to work. The PDF hyperlinks all work ok outside of my app, on both Windows desktop and an iPad, just not inside of the AIR app.

Any ideas?

Oh, it sounded like you wanted to load the pdf to your app. Stagewebview is like a window through your app - a hole. The pdf is opened in something other than your app.

What is showing the pdf? A pdf reader or a browser?

Whatever is showing the pdf thinks you're already on the link you're hitting? Look to whatever reader or browser showing the pdf.

Hi, Simon.
    Thanks for your nice sharing. But do you have any experience about
    pdf conversion process? I want to look for a fine pdf to image converter whose way of processing is simple and fast. Any suggetsion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Pan