A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to remove child once and not permanently

How to remove child once and not permanently

I have one button adding a Proloader and using a remove child on my second button to remove the items loaded from the first button. But when I click on the first button again it does not have anywhere to load the Movie into because the childs been removed. Is there a way to clear the child and just remove permanently?

I meant to say a way to clear the child and not remove permanently

Put everything in empty movieclip so you can easily reference it.

For example, this is how I'd manage thumbnail clips - buttons, text, pics, loaded dynamically:

mcThumbs.mcThumb_0.mcPic

mcThumbs is an empty clip that holds all the mcThumb clips. mcThumb is a clip that has a pic, text, and a button. It's dynamically generated. mcPic is an empty clip that only holds your loaded pic. Add your loader to it. Then you can removeChildAt(0) because it's the only child.

mcThumbs.mcThumb_0.mcPic.removeChild(0);

To clear something from memory, all references have to be cleared. Don't reference the loader in any other way and remove the loader.

You can reference the clips like this: mcThumbs["mcThumb_" + i].mcPic

Remember that everything you download to your swf goes in the browser cache (in general) so every time you load the file again, it loads instantly from cache.