A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Drawn movieclip X & Y position don't match stage X&Y (not nested) AS2/CS5

Drawn movieclip X & Y position don't match stage X&Y (not nested) AS2/CS5

Hi all!

I am working on a project where the user can draw a box around a portion of an image, and that image will duplicate and enlarge on the screen and applying the drawn box as a mask showing only the portion they selected. My issue, is that the X&Y position of the drawn box don't seem to correspond to the stage, even though it isn't nested. The Y position might be -250 and it is sitting in the middle of the screen. I want to center the newly masked image on the screen, but since the Y position doesn't match the stage, I can't seem to figure out how to do that.

I have never used the drawing API for something this complex before, so I am hoping someone with more experience can weigh in on this!

Hi,

If you can attach your *.fla then we can try to help you solve your problem.

Hi,

Without seeing any of your code or your *.fla, perhaps this might be of some assistance.

inside there are some comments which can be uncommented to achieve what I think you were asking for, anyhow, please feel free to exploit it.

Hi fruitbeard! Thanks for the zip! The uncommented version is closer to what I was going for, keeping the original image and then adding the duplicated masked image on top in the center. I think I can noodle it out from what you provided here! Unfortunately, this is for a legal matter, so I can't upload the files, but I will look into this copy pixels function! Didn't know that was a thing!

Hi,

Glad you might be able to make it work for you, here is a better version, the last one was limited to drawing only to the right and down, this one can draw through all directions.

Good luck

Hi,

There is a rogue var in the second one, although you probably could figure it out or don't need it, just replace the "initialY" that is there with "yPoint".