A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: AS3 memory usage difference online/offline

AS3 memory usage difference online/offline

I'm working on a very simple flash game and having some performance issues. The game is running slow when I've uploaded it to my site but runs very good when playing offline, I was wondering how there can be such a difference. I've added a debug clip which shows the frame rate and memory used, this gives some unexpected results.

1) When playing my file offline, the memory usage is 10Mb.
    2) When playing online at http://www.medalgames.com/square-spinner.html, the memory usage is 30Mb.
    3) When playing online at http://www.medalgames.com/play/square-spinner/, the memory usage is 60Mb.

Is there any reason there could be such a difference in memory usage? 2) uses the embed code Flash CS6 gives me, 3) uses my own embed code, the same a lot of other sites will probably use.

I know this topic may need some code of my game, but it's quite a lot so I don't know if it will be of too much help. There's an option to turn off the effect I'm using (BlurFilter on BitmapData), turning it off doesn't seem to have too much effect.

Hi,

Quite a nice game (looks nice), well it's being run through a broswer so that will add memory it could also be all the other stuff going on in the background of the website itself.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks fruitbeard, nice name!

I think I've narrowed it down to the preloader, since it doesn't happen if I open te page again and it doesn't need to reload the swf file. But the preloader is one I've used many times before and it just looks really solid, so I guess it's just one of those mysteries Flash has to offer. Thanks for your input anyway!