A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] TextFields and Tab Orders

resolved [RESOLVED] TextFields and Tab Orders

Hi all !

I have created a row of textfields with each textfield having its own unique identification number. The total number of rows of textfields is 20 and when i displayed them on the stage, they did not fit on the screen. However I tried out the tab order and it was perfect. It ran down from 1 to 20 with no problems. However to keep all of them on the same screen I decided to split them up in two columns with 10 in each column. I managed to do that by changing the y offset of the field after the 10th field. Now however, when i tried the tab order it was correct for the first column but after the 10th ( last field in column 1 ) it went to the 18th textfield !?? the 2nd last textfield in the 2nd column.

I checked and printed the values of textfields tab order and they were correct. SO i do not know what's causing this issue.
    Anyone has any ideas or faced a similar issue ever?

Thanks all !

Hi,

Without having any of your code or files, try either of these, they do it two different ways, you will see what i mean.

paste any or both of these, separately, into an new AS2 document and test.

V:1
    PHP Code:
    var textFieldAmount:Number 20;
    var 
    divider:Number 10;
    var 
    uniqueNumber:Number;
    var 
    hSpace:Number 300;
    var 
    vSpace:Number 25;

for (var 
    0textFieldAmounti++)
    {

this.createTextField('Text_' i,i,20 Math.floor(divider) * hSpace,20 Math.floor(divider) * vSpace,0,0);

this["Text_" i].tabIndex i;

this["Text_" i].uniqueNumber i;

this["Text_" i].autoSize true;

this["Text_" i].border true;

this["Text_" i].type "input";

this["Text_" i].text "Textfield: " String(1) + " TabIndex: " this["Text_" i].tabIndex;

V:2
    PHP Code:
    var textFieldAmount:Number 20;
    var 
    divider:Number 2;
    var 
    uniqueNumber:Number;
    var 
    hSpace:Number 300;
    var 
    vSpace:Number 25;

for (var 
    0textFieldAmounti++)
    {

this.createTextField('Text_' i,i,20 Math.floor(divider) * hSpace,20 Math.floor(divider) * vSpace,0,0);

this["Text_" i].tabIndex i;

this["Text_" i].uniqueNumber i;

this["Text_" i].autoSize true;

this["Text_" i].border true;

this["Text_" i].type "input";

this["Text_" i].text "Textfield: " String(1) + " TabIndex: " this["Text_" i].tabIndex;

but without seeing your code one can only guess as to how you want it to look and do.

Hi fruitbeard,

Thanks again for the reply. I'll try out your files and revert. I'll try and get my files here by tomorrow if I am still not able to figure out the problem with the help of your files. I am really grateful. Thanks loads.

Hi fruitbeard,

On comparison with my code I realised that I had not used the tabIndex property. Surprisingly , earlier & elsewhere when I have used textfield, I do not recall using this tabIndex property and yet the tab worked correctly. I think I read somewhere that the 2nd parameter in createTextField function took care of the tabIndexes. So now I wonder what that is for.

But yes using tabIndex property solved the issue perfectly.

So thanks again. Will be back for more.

P.S. I had posted my reply some days ago but for some reason it did not post and was saved in the quick reply box from where I have retrieved it now and re-posting it.