A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Could not open '[file name]' because the file is not compatible with this version

Could not open '[file name]' because the file is not compatible with this version

One of my project folders got deleted in a freak accident. I won't go into it, but I recovered one of the .psd files using a commercial undelete program (Fast File Undelete from DTI Data). It didn't work (go figure) and whenever I try to open the .psd file photoshop (7.0) shows a message box that says, "There was a problem reading the layer data. Read the composite data instead?" When I click the Read Composite Data button another box shows that reads, "Could not open '[file name]' because the file is not compatible with this version of photoshop." It ...

Repairs PSD files developed using any Photoshop

PSD Viewer Tool that safely repairs damaged Photoshop files and gives you the repaired image in original format along with the repaired layers and the corresponding bitmap file.
    -Repairs PSD files developed using any Photoshop color mode
    -Repairs corrupt PSB ('large document format') files
    -Repairs images with PDD file extension
    -Provides bitmap image of repaired Photoshop file
    -Supports Adobe Photoshop CS5, CS4, CS3, CS2, CS1
    DOWNLOAD SETUP FROM HOMEPAGE : http://www.psd.viewertool.com/
    SECOND FREE SOLUTION:
    Sometimes Photoshop is adding a few bytes in the beginning of the file when the file is saved, and then the same Photoshop is giving an error and complains about that files... All you have to do is to delete that unnecessarily group of bytes.
    Assuming that you already know what is a HEX editor and how to use it I'll write here a few steps you can do before opening a "corrupt" PSD file:
    1 - Make a back-up (copy) of the file before making any changes.
    2 - Open the "corrupted" file in an usual HEX editor (NOT text editor!) and look for such groups of character just in the beginning: 8BPS and after a few bytes 8BIM another group of bytes and again 8BIM.
    3 - This succession should be respected strictly: 8BPS ... 8BIM ... 8BIM. These groups should be very close to each other and it's easy to find them.
    4 - Delete all bytes before 8BPS group (Shift+Delete) and save the file... =)
    5 - Open it in Photoshop and Enjoy.