A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is it possible to keep the orientation of an image inside a symbol?

Is it possible to keep the orientation of an image inside a symbol?

I'm working on a compass and I would like the arrow to behave as if it was magnetized and always point to the top (North) of the page regardless of where the symbol it's in is dragged on the stage. The dial is tagged with a mouse_wheel event and the whole compass is tagged with a rotation triggered by a mouse click event, but at the moment the needle rotates with the dial symbol instead of simulating it's attraction to the magnetic north. Is it possible to add a hot spot in a image and anchor it to a xy point way off the top of the stage?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dan

Yes is possible,

you have file to seing

When rotating the compass you just need to rotate the needle in the opposite direction by the same amount.
    To point it to an anchor point, something like this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7...orizontal-axis

I dont have public hosting, but I will try to think of something to display the compass.

Thanks SWAK, I didn't think of going opposite for the needle, however the other problem Im having using the mouseWHEEL event is that the rotation is only in one direction, is there a code snippet that would tell an object to rotate in the opposite direction?

Thanks

HI,

Do you mean anything like this?

that's exactly what I mean, I'm attaching mine.

I had to remove the map to reduce the file size for the forum, so all I need to do now is apply your AS3 to my compass, your scripting is very nice, a little out of my league at the moment, but very elegant.

Thanks and have a very nice day!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DLNDan; 06-16-2015 at 12:28 PM.

Hi,

This is the best I can do with your graphics.

Muchos Gratzias

Thanks, I was also trying your script out on my own and got it to work the way I want it to, I cant thank you enough, I tried paypal to give you a little something, but I was unable to complete the transaction, the province (Ontario/Canada) field wouldn't show up, so I couldnt submit, I will try again later at home.

Your time is greatly appreciated.