A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash to HTML5?

Flash to HTML5?

I'm considering converting my whole flash site to HTML5, have no idea how to go about doing this. I tried CC 2014 (flash) which attempted to do it automatically, but the whole thing was broken and many necessary elements were left out. The java file it created was confusing as hell.. yikes.

Either I have to do this manually, piece by piece, or start from scratch... Sure I have all my graphics, but a lot of them are animated (especially the intro as the page opens and then it continues to stay in motion, swinging lanterns, blooming flowers etc).

What do you think is the best way to go about doing this? The page is hugclub.net it's always been a work in progress, in fact all I had to do was make the rest of the cards, list a few more merchandise and insert my first cartoon. As a "template" it is complete, very proud of it. It came from db-flash originally (e-cards) then I improved it and built upon it.

This could help: https://developers.google.com/swiffy/ It looks good.

Another option that you could consider is to use a language that is made for building on multiple platforms e.g. unity3d.com or monkey-x.com

The Good:
    Works perfectly for the visual aspect wow. THAT is impressive. How did they include all my vector drawings as text?? Curious about sound...
    (edit) converts the sound too, nice.. just a bit lower in quality though.

The Bad:
    Preloaders, displaying External Swfs (now htmls), Scrollbars aren't working. I'll assume the php interaction isn't going to work..

It looks like it was a near perfect conversion, but those items 100% necessary ahh... I tried renaming shop.swf to shop.html in the conversion, no go... something definitely not right with the container for external files.

I see that it's still experimental, good to know it's still a work in progress.. so that just means maybe it's not time to convert my site yet I'll definitely give it another shot in the future. It can't hurt to learn anyway so I'll keep learning a bit. Thanks pal!
    Last edited by Izlude; 07-17-2015 at 11:46 PM.

Converting is almost always going to give you subpar results. It's one of the advantages of working with a language built for it.

Is the site a money maker?

Quote Originally Posted by swak View Post
    Converting is almost always going to give you subpar results. It's one of the advantages of working with a language built for it.

Is the site a money maker?
    It's getting there, so far it's been kept alive. I generate a new crypto address each month.

You could experiment with http://www.monkey-x.com/ You can compile an html5 version without purchasing a license. An annoying aspect of this is working with fonts. You'd have to use bitmap fonts. I haven't seen a vector based library built for monkey yet. Another option is Unity3D although the licensing might be a bit more expensive.