A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] Help - removing dynamically named instances.

resolved [RESOLVED] Help - removing dynamically named instances.

Hi, I'm hoping to get some help here, it seems it should be something simple but I'm having a really hard time trying to solve this one on my own!

I have a movieclip symbol named "item" and nested inside of "item" I have a button with an instance name of "deleteMe". I add an instance of "item" manually from the library and manually name it "item0". The "deleteMe" button on(release) uses the removeMovieClip(_root.item0) method to remove the movieclip instance from the stage. As it is now everything works as it want: I press the "deleteMe" button the "item" movieclip is removed from the stage.

Now my problem comes when I dynamically attach and dynamically name "item" instances. I made a button that attaches "item" instances to the stage one at a time, each instance is named using an increment counter. So each time I press the button it adds an instance named item0, item1, item2, item3 etc. So I have a bunch of instances on stage with names and each one has a "deleteMe" button nested inside. So my removeMovieClip() method on the "deleteMe" button won't work anymore because I have no idea what path/argument/expression to give to the removeMovieClip() method. I've tried using: removeMovieClip(_root._parent) and removeMovieClip(this._parent) but that doesn't seem to work.

I hope I'm explaining this clearly! Any help would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneebro View Post
    Hi, I'm hoping to get some help here, it seems it should be something simple but I'm having a really hard time trying to solve this one on my own!

I have a movieclip symbol named "item" and nested inside of "item" I have a button with an instance name of "deleteMe". I add an instance of "item" manually from the library and manually name it "item0". The "deleteMe" button on(release) uses the removeMovieClip(_root.item0) method to remove the movieclip instance from the stage. As it is now everything works as it want: I press the "deleteMe" button the "item" movieclip is removed from the stage.

Now my problem comes when I dynamically attach and dynamically name "item" instances. I made a button that attaches "item" instances to the stage one at a time, each instance is named using an increment counter. So each time I press the button it adds an instance named item0, item1, item2, item3 etc. So I have a bunch of instances on stage with names and each one has a "deleteMe" button nested inside. So my removeMovieClip() method on the "deleteMe" button won't work anymore because I have no idea what path/argument/expression to give to the removeMovieClip() method. I've tried using: removeMovieClip(_root._parent) and removeMovieClip(this._parent) but that doesn't seem to work.

I hope I'm explaining this clearly! Any help would be appreciated!

Hello,

If I understood what you have described above correctly, then just paste the following code in the button that lies inside the mc: item and it should work.

PHP Code:
    on (release) {

_root[this._name].removeMovieClip();

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_flash View Post
    Hello,

If I understood what you have described above correctly, then just paste the following code in the button that lies inside the mc: item and it should work.

PHP Code:
    on (release) {

_root[this._name].removeMovieClip();

Hey, thank you for the quick reply!

I tried your code and though it seems like it should work, still nothing happening when I click the button inside the item mc!

Thanks again...any other ideas are welcome!!

Your code works after all!!! Thank you!! The reason it wasn't working when I tried it the first time (in case anyone else has this problem) was that I was using getNextHighestDepth when attaching a the movie clips, I changed this to a simple increment counter instead to create each movie on it's own level. So getNextHighest Depth and removeMovieClip() do not work together!! Thank you again, I spent a lot of time messing around with this!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneebro View Post
    So getNextHighest Depth and removeMovieClip() do not work together!!
    The (removeMovieClip() and getNextHighestDepth() ) works together, no problem at all. You are probably using a built-in Button. If you use the Button component that comes with Flash, then the (getNextHighestDepth() ) won't work.

It was a good idea that you used a variable that increases each time a new mc attached if you still wanted to use the built-in Button.

Other method is to create a button yourself, then you can still use the (getNextHighestDepth() ).

Good luck!
    Last edited by Dr_flash; 02-11-2016 at 12:25 PM.