A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Paste in place inside a symbol?

Paste in place inside a symbol?

Is it possible somehow to exactly "paste in place" inside a symbol (or several symbols)?

This is a long running issue I've had with Flash and now Animate CC. The problem lies with trying to paste from the main timeline into symbols or vice versa when a symbol is not sitting at x,0 y,0. The paste in place function seems to use each symbol's own xy point as a reference rather than the exact position of the original object being pasted. This means if I copy an item off the main timeline and then go into a symbol placed randomly on the screen, the paste in place function will put it in a different location. The more symbols you go through, the more complex the problem becomes. There was an extension available by "Trick or Script" that completely resolved this issue but it is not available for Animate. Does anybody know a work around?

Hi,

Perhaps you should look into the movieclip registration

I second fruitbeard's suggestion. The registration point is considered the focal point for any activity occurring for the movieclip, and if it isn't centralised or placed differently that other symbols it would likely mis-align any copy/paste procedures as it adjusts them.