A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Opinion on 3d rendering vs 3d prerendering games

Client Software Programmer AS3.0's Avatar

Opinion on 3d rendering vs 3d prerendering games

I was working on this game that uses prerendered 3d models, would anyone else use prerenderings for a video game, or make the models with math on the actual video game and texture it, the down side with prerendering would be that you have many frames, but less depth sorting, the problem with rendering during the game is that you have alot of depth sorting but less frames.

the game can be found here

It all really depends on several things. Mainly, how resource intensive should it be and what resources should it use. For the processor, I believe prerendering is less intesive. Doesn't require so much math. Just displaying a series of picts. Less dynamic however. RAM, prerendering is more intesive because instructions on how to draw something takes less space then a map of each pict. ROM, prerendering will effect filesize. This nowadays tends to be a minor factor.

I agree on dynamically, unless theres a way to import the animation part specially for flash and than sync it by what frame it should be in while it rotates. And RAM gets slower, well for this game im going to leave it like that.

Like I said, it's all about shifting the load. An external animation loaded in should only matter in when it'll be loaded. This also has some potential dangers in of itself. If the animation doesn't completely load soon enough, that will impact the performance. Not as much of an issue nowadays considering how common decent internet is. I consider this whole rendering question to be similar to what language to use when programming. A basic example would be 3 examples: assembly, c+, and actionscript. Assembly potentially is the most efficiant accross the board because the programmer can minimize everything to what's necisary code wise. Potentially best resource management. Problem with assembly is how difficult it can be to work with. C+ is a decent middle ground. Actionscript is all about ease of deployment. Basically, it's all about choosing the tool for the purpose.

In 3D rendering graphics card and viewer's PC processors used to produce individual frames of animation and they are displayed. Whether in per-rendered 3D it uses video files that have been compiled ahead of time on the developer's system. Making game is really tough and you should have that much skill and knowledge to keep ready.

Ok thank you cowboy