A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Use PHP to connect to Visual Studio Database

Use PHP to connect to Visual Studio Database

Hi All,

I was hoping to get some advise on connecting to a visual studio database I have created.

I'm currently making a flash e-learning package which will have tests for students to take. I want the questions and answers to be dragged from the database and displayed in my flash test. I then want the student to be able to click on the correct answer.

Does anyone know of any good tutorials or is able to point me in the right direction if how to do this?

I'm new to Flash development, so simple is better!

Thanks,
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    Hi All,

I was hoping to get some advise on connecting to a visual studio database I have created.

I'm currently making a flash e-learning package which will have tests for students to take. I want the questions and answers to be dragged from the database and displayed in my flash test. I then want the student to be able to click on the correct answer.

Does anyone know of any good tutorials or is able to point me in the right direction if how to do this?

I'm new to Flash development, so simple is better!

Thanks,
    Jack
    EDIT:

I'm using Adobe Animate with Action Script 3.0.

you could probably do it all in as3 as "air" project: see here how. either way it is tall order for someone who just started.
    Last edited by realMakc; 01-07-2017 at 03:08 PM.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

Thanks realMakc!
    It's certainly giving me enough pain! The joys of final year uni projects!
    I had to change to using MySQL server as Visual Studio licence has run out. I assume the link will still work to use with MySQL server?

Thanks,
    Jack.

noes, that link assumes you are using air built-in database. they do not speak odbc, unfortunately. mysql + php is fine choice, too, but you also have to set up web server that runs php (check here), and then write php scripts that do crud, and then just call those from as3 whenever you need something... there is a can of worms, too, e g see this for the most "proper" way to do it. that's ****load of stuff to learn as you go and, imho, not worth it.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2