A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Koolshow ... movie looping

Koolshow ... movie looping

Ok, finally had enough whining from the mobile crowd to try to convert some items from flash to HTML5 ... most notably my antispam captcha (brew my own using Quicker. I nor my customers have received spambot generated form mails in last 6 years). Unfortunately, Quicker is not HTML5 friendly. What is an 8k file in flash is over 2 megs as HTML5 when Quicker is done with it. The file works great, but the size is a big problem.

Figured I would try Koolshow ... price seems good enough. The problem I've run into is I'm unable to make the animation loop. In order for my captcha to work, the images must be in constant motion. If they rest (learned from experience) the bots will figure it out and we'll get flooded again (one of my customers is a radio station and until I built my captcha we were getting tons of unwanted form submissions daily!).

Is there a way to make my HTML5 animations loop? The help file gives instructions on how to do this, but it apparently is not written for Koolshow or is from a different version, because the process describes things which are not available in the menu of the program.

How would I make a movie loop in koolshow?

Super Moderator
    If you are exporting as CreateJS, there is a loop option under Movie menu bar. If you are exporting as jQuery Mobile Widgets, there is no loop option. Which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hartzell View Post
    If you are exporting as CreateJS, there is a loop option under Movie menu bar. If you are exporting as jQuery Mobile Widgets, there is no loop option. Which is it?
    Actually (for now) exporting as HTML5 web page until I become familiar enough with the process. Eventually it will be embedded into the site pages where I have various contact forms. (Different form for each section is customer's idea)

Decided to ignore the help file and just go digging into the program on my own, found the option to make the animation loop and it looks good.

Not real sure this is the solution to my endeavor, but at $20.00 it ain't a bad start. Thanks for the response.

Super Moderator
    I will fix the help. The help for looping is written for the Flash export gui, not Html5 export gui.

Yeah, I found flash to be of great use over the past 13+ years of my time as a web designer. Actually would prefer to continue using So_think's Quicker to build my captcha solutions, but my customers keep getting calls from people who use nothing but cell phones or tablets complaining that they can't complete the online forms because they can't see the captcha.

No bot generated form spam since 2012 when I implemented my captcha solution. Amazingly, I've used the same 3 digit number as the captcha solution across all domains from day one. That one number has not been broken by the bots.

Super Moderator
    I also miss Flash and web sites with Flash. The elegance from most web sites is missing without Flash. Html5 is not filling the shoes of Flash unfortunately and people are now building building web sites using templates which are not animation friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hartzell View Post
    I also miss Flash and web sites with Flash. The elegance from most web sites is missing without Flash. Html5 is not filling the shoes of Flash unfortunately and people are now building building web sites using templates which are not animation friendly.
    I agree. I do think animated sites will make a come back though. At the beginning of that transition from flash to html5, html5 didn't support everything that flash offered. I think that is where the animated websites kind of died off. People were in fear that not everyone was installing the flash plugin anymore. So things changed a bit for web development.

HTML5 now supports many animation features and even game development just like flash. It's just a matter of when more people will find interest in animated sites again. I think they are fun plus you can personalize your site unlike the template based or static websites.

For me, I developed a captcha that was flash based. Worked great with 0 spam emails from forms on my customers sites where they were using it. Now I get calls from those same customers because somebody with a phone can't submit an online form.

I even had one doctor call me personally because he couldn't fill out an online form. He demanded that I tell him what to type in so he could get past the captcha he couldn't see.

That was actually the original reason for purchasing this software. Have implemented the HTML version on one of my sites and waiting to see if it helps ... or not.

The captcha utilizes motion, so I think the bots are confused ... even though the solution has been the same three digit number since about 2009.