A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Suggestions ... Koolshow.

Suggestions ... Koolshow.

Biggest suggestion I have today is that you either support resizing the preview window or actually allow me to view an item I'm working on in an actual browser window.

When I click on "Preview in browser" it opens a window about 1/3 the size of my animation. I have to scroll left, right, up, and down ... and yet there are parts of my animation that are NOT visible in this tiny window.

I don't use this software very often because the work flow as well as the previews are very disappointing.

If there is a setting in the program that I need to change, a preference I need to adjust ... if it is anything I can do from this end ... it would be great if I could find it doing a search in the help. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing while searching, but it is quite frustrating trying to get going with Koolshow.

Windows 10, Koolshow 2.2.2, 8 GB Ram, 1 tb free HDD space.

Super Moderator
    Are you previewing the entire movie from the main screen or previewing an effect from an effect screen?

Did you set the movie frame (the box surrounded by grey) on the stage to the width/height of your movie?

There are 3 preview windows used in the program: a) preview using your default browser which is by default full screen, b) preview in a resizable browser (grabber tab lower,right), c) preview in a browser that comes up the size of the movie frame (help box left side, replay and close buttons right side). If preview c is what is causing you problems, I am sure I can make it resizable.

If you go to File > Preferences - Play/Browser tab and select Default browser, the preview will come up with a full screen browser.

You mentioned that the work flow is disappointing. Care to elaborate?

Workflow may be the wrong phraseology here ... but this is the first basic problem I want to address:

koolshow_01.jpg

Originally 24 point text on a 468 X 120 image.
    Last edited by Dijenga; 06-04-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Super Moderator
    It would be helpful to have a working fun file so I can explore this problem. Zip your simple example (it could just be the text) and email to bob at koolmoves dot com.

Something that could explain the disconnect. If the text has been scaled and an effect has been applied. Some of the effects probably ignore scaling.

I know there is a problem with fonts but I haven't seen it this bad. The basic issue is the disconnect between fonts on the PC used to draw on the stage and web fonts used by the Html5 which may or may not have the same name or even exist. I am using some javascript to try to adjust the size when the web page loads; maybe I need a different approach.

This wasn't an issue with Flash because font glyphs were embedded in the swf so you saw exactly the same on the PC and the web.

For the moment, the alternative is to use text graphics so you see exactly the same.

BTW, I am moving toward docking/floating panes. The next version will the the first phase of that conversion.

Super Moderator
    After studying the sample file, I discovered that the issue was the point (vs px) font size unit. Different browsers display the text with pt font size very differently. I don't know if something changed or if I didn't adequately test against a sufficient number of browsers when this work was done a number of years ago. If px font unit is used, the sizing issue is not glaring. The next version will address this.