A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Trying to use multi-layer images in movieclip, but it flashes like a strobelight?!?!?

Trying to use multi-layer images in movieclip, but it flashes like a strobelight?!?!?

hi , I am fairly new to flash. I am working on an app which has many scenes. Each scene includes images (characters and background), text and audio.
    I want to re-use the background images by layering character images on top of background images.
    I attempted to do this by creating a movieclip, then I created one keyframe containing a character image on a transparent background, then added another keyframe that contained the background image. When I compiled the app and viewed in a browser, the background image is flashing like a strobe light, so I know I did something wrong.
    Am I wrong to try to use keyframes like photoshop layers? IF so, how do create multi layer images?
    Thanks!

You need to use the stop(); command. You're fine otherwise.

Thanks i'll try this!

Hi swak... I cant figure out how to use the Stop command.....
    I have a movieclip on the timeline... it has 2 keyframes A and B
    Keyframe A is an image with a transparent background (the image is a character in my scene)
    Keyframe B is an full size image (the image is the background in my scene)
    The goal is to layer and display image A over image B.
    The usage of the Stop command is: instance_name_here.stop();
    Do you know How to implement the Stop command given my setup?
    Thanks!

If you share your .fla it'll help. Layer's are a way to visually group items together. One way to handle things would be to create an empty layer and name it "actions". Then when you want to do code. Click on the actions keyframe. This will allow you to keep things a bit more clean. If you're not careful then you could spread your code everywhere and it'll get hard to manage.

More on the stop() command. Flash arranges things in a more movie type setup. It's like you have a movie playing, then you can add mini-movieclips in the movie. This is important because you need to be aware of what you're targeting when using the stop command. If you use it in a movieclip then you'll have the problem you are right now. It's not telling the whole thing to stop. Just the object you're adding the command to. If you really want to hack this then use _root.stop();

Client Software Programmer AS3.0's Avatar
    yeah maybe you have extra frames causing it to loop, double click the movie clip and remove the extra frames or check the main timeline also so make sure you right click and remove one if it looks like this:
    Last edited by AS3.0; 09-20-2017 at 05:46 AM.

i am guess he stop