Memory leak writing string to file
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Memory leak writing string to file

Post Memory leak writing string to file

Using the windows process explorer I can see that memory in my program goes up, then gets collected and drops back down in a constant loop until I uncomment the following function:

protected function marker( output:FileStream, file:File, i:int, j:int ):void
    { file, FileMode.APPEND );
    	output.writeUTFBytes( i + "\t" + j + "\n" );	
    With this function being called, the memory increases unboundedly until it reaches around 2GB and the whole thing crashes with an out of memory error. I was hoping someone could shed some light on where the leak here is and how to fix it, since I would like to be able to call this function reasonably frequently. Thanks. I think it's creating a new String each time but don't know why it's not being collected if this is in fact what's happening.

APPEND : String = "append"
    [static] Used for a file to be opened in write mode, with all written data appended to the end of the file.
    You should make sure what you want to use. Append probably just keeps adding to the file until it gets too big. I figure that the file you try opening ends up being too big.