A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone from the old gang still lurking around

Anyone from the old gang still lurking around

wazzzaaap....you guys alive ..that damn forum still is for sure...lol..
    Mad-Sci

PS: kill me cant remember my log in password...its been what...10 years since I logged in here...damn.

Woah! You have come after 10 years!! that's a pretty long time you aren't here. I am new here. can you share with us how was the environment here at that time? is it same or the forum was more active than today?

I was one of the first that registered actually in 2000. Back then Flashkit was the Facebook and Tweeter. I could not wait to getup in the morning have my coffee and check the replies. I was moderator of the Games Forum togher with PopeDeFlash and FlashGuru...wonder what happen to them. I know Pope wrote a book about gaming and ActionScript.

PS: I found one of my very early movies ...http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Effec...-325/index.php

he he he wow...

I still pop in and look around every once in a while.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

Hmm. Started around 2000? I'll just pop in as being fairly senior.

Hell yeah I'm here! I'm here every day, check in at 15x a day, hoping for new posts!

JK, haven't been here in years. I pop in once in a blue moon. To answer your question Natalie, yes...this place used to be the shizz. There were dozens of new threads a day in the coffee lounge, thousands of active members here during 2000-2005.
    It was a big deal to be a moderator. Flash was HOT then, the next big thing on the interwebs. Your website wasn't worth a dime unless it had a nice long obnoxious flash intro. 2advanced.com (RIP) and EgoMedia were Gods to us. The coffee lounge was a hot place for discussion of everything, politics, news whatever - none of it related to Flash. Message boards were the best, then social media came around and ruined everything!
    Last edited by Visionray; 07-12-2019 at 08:56 PM.

and FlashGuru...wonder what happen to them
    I think flash guru wrote an angry post about leaving the flash to live on remote island or something. that was like 10 years ago, too
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

I haven't been here in a number of years myself. I guess life just seems to get busier the older I get.

I used to love my time at FlashKit and learned a great deal. I'm surprised the site is still kicking around and if I get the time I'm thinking of kicking the tires a little on Adobe Animate as my 9 year old has shown an interest in writing his own games.

Is anyone actually doing anything with Animate? Is it worth spending the time on?

At any rate, it's fun to take a peek back on FlashKit.

John

I still lurk here from time to time.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Client Software Programmer AS3.0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by borngamer View Post
    Is anyone actually doing anything with Animate? Is it worth spending the time on?
    I have software side with animate done, this smoke machine is not pretty yet but functional I need to design about a basic tile sized smoke machine that looks professional next if someone here has any mold experience for the smoke machine you can make to jump in the project.

I think I first joined about 15 years ago, maybe more. Just had to rejoin because I couldn't remember my password after all this time, and I wanted to see if anyone was still around. Like someone said above time was I'd turn my coffee machine on, check emails, make a damn fine cup of coffee and check the yellow - Q&As, then the forum. My wife & I retired 3 or 4 years back, then in February 2017 left the UK and now live in a cave home in North Granada, AndalucÃ*a, Spain. From living in an estate for 40 years we now look over olive and almond groves to the mountains beyond, and are surrounded by rivers, waterfalls and beautiful scenery. I got a few gigs playing guitar in bars, then met a keyboard player/guitarist and we've played together a few times and enjoying ourselves. I'll be 70 next year, my wife's a year behind me, and we're having the time of our lives, travelling around Spain, and getting visits from friends and family, particularly loving our grandchildren staying in the cave with us - they love it. Good luck to you all, I see Gerbick's still around - where are you now?
    Hasta luego
    Big Ginge

Quote Originally Posted by bigginge2 View Post
    I think I first joined about 15 years ago, maybe more. Just had to rejoin because I couldn't remember my password after all this time, and I wanted to see if anyone was still around. Like someone said above time was I'd turn my coffee machine on, check emails, make a damn fine cup of coffee and check the yellow - Q&As, then the forum. My wife & I retired 3 or 4 years back, then in February 2017 left the UK and now live in a cave home in North Granada, AndalucÃ*a, Spain. From living in an estate for 40 years we now look over olive and almond groves to the mountains beyond, and are surrounded by rivers, waterfalls and beautiful scenery. I got a few gigs playing guitar in bars, then met a keyboard player/guitarist and we've played together a few times and enjoying ourselves. I'll be 70 next year, my wife's a year behind me, and we're having the time of our lives, travelling around Spain, and getting visits from friends and family, particularly loving our grandchildren staying in the cave with us - they love it. Good luck to you all, I see Gerbick's still around - where are you now?
    Hasta luego
    Big Ginge
    Big Ginge! DUDE! You are definitely my idol in regards to how to live life. Glad to hear that you and your wife are doing well.

I've been around. Hit up Jamaica for a while, hit over to Germany for a short period, then back in the US mostly in the Southeast US. We definitely need to catch up - I never got a chance to take you up on your offer to get something signed by Mr. Moore.

Great to hear from you Gerbick, if you ever come back to Europe be sure to come to the cave. I don't expect to be seeing Big Al any time soon, but my old music partner still visits him so I'm sure we could arrange something.
    I'll tell you a story about when my wife, Gelda, and I moved out to Spain. We'd been in our cave home in the village of Cortes de Baza for a few weeks, and every few days I'd go to the Correos - Post Office - to see if there was any post. The office is barely larger than a broom cupboard, and Pedro the Postman hands over a pile of letters for immigrants to look through. But one morning I walked in and he asked, in Spanish, 'Do you play guitar', I said I did and he said this must be for you and gave me a letter which, translated, was addressed to ‘The English man who wears brightly coloured shirts and plays guitar’. He was so pleased he'd delivered it he got a passer by to take a photo with his camera phone. I took the letter home and it was a Father's Day card from No. 3 son wanting to see how well we'd integrated into the village. The next morning someone shared the Spanish Correos Facebook page with me - there was the photo of Pedro and me and the story of how the mail had got through. The next day we'd made page 3 on the Andalusian newspaper Ideal, the next it was El Pais, the national paper, and then I got a phone call to go to the Correos as a TV crew were on their way - that night I sat outside one of the bars in the village with the locals watching Pedro and me on Spanish TV. It certainly helped me get integrated, not just because Pedro and me were on TV but because the village was. Here's the vid

I have not been here in over a decade, but I still get the birthday emails form Flashkit. Can't bring myself to unsubscribe.

Quote Originally Posted by bigginge2 View Post
    Great to hear from you Gerbick, if you ever come back to Europe be sure to come to the cave. I don't expect to be seeing Big Al any time soon, but my old music partner still visits him so I'm sure we could arrange something.
    I'll tell you a story about when my wife, Gelda, and I moved out to Spain. We'd been in our cave home in the village of Cortes de Baza for a few weeks, and every few days I'd go to the Correos - Post Office - to see if there was any post. The office is barely larger than a broom cupboard, and Pedro the Postman hands over a pile of letters for immigrants to look through. But one morning I walked in and he asked, in Spanish, 'Do you play guitar', I said I did and he said this must be for you and gave me a letter which, translated, was addressed to ‘The English man who wears brightly coloured shirts and plays guitar’. He was so pleased he'd delivered it he got a passer by to take a photo with his camera phone. I took the letter home and it was a Father's Day card from No. 3 son wanting to see how well we'd integrated into the village. The next morning someone shared the Spanish Correos Facebook page with me - there was the photo of Pedro and me and the story of how the mail had got through. The next day we'd made page 3 on the Andalusian newspaper Ideal, the next it was El Pais, the national paper, and then I got a phone call to go to the Correos as a TV crew were on their way - that night I sat outside one of the bars in the village with the locals watching Pedro and me on Spanish TV. It certainly helped me get integrated, not just because Pedro and me were on TV but because the village was. Here's the vid
    Ha! That's cool. And your Spanish is far better than my own. I've forgotten too much.

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by swampy 2.0 View Post
    Nope
    Holy Hell... a swampy sighting. Wow.

The one day I show up out of the blue this thread appears

Man, this site really meant a lot and influenced so much of my life. I still work with a couple of people I met here. We finally stopped using Flash/Air last year, although I still have it installed for old project maintenance from time to time.

I don't remember a lot, but I remember I spent a lot of time in this forum, and it was always fun.t felt like it was filled with actual real human beings. The internet nowadays feels so big and impersonal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbDQRfqzekA
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.