A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how to pass out scores to a highscore table??

I had try out jobemjobem's Ultimate arcade highscore fla. I try to use the game 'tetris" in the tutorial with the highscore fla but i was not sure whether how to pass the scores of the Tetris's game to the high score table!!

Can anyone out there help me with this!!!!!I have been figuring out how to do this highscore thing for months now!!!
    can anyone show me or provide me with the code or anyway of how to do up a highscore feature with a game!!!

>>The thing that i am really not sure is how to pass the scores of a game to a data base from flash!!Can someone show me that?? Should i load the variables to Url or what??
    Can anyone please show me?????

Please !!!! anyone out there please help!!!!!
    Still not giving up untill i can do up this high score feature!!
    i really hope that there will be a tutorial that show how to do highscore with a game!!!!
    i thank s those who are really willing to help me first !!!
    Waiting to hear from anyone soon !!!!!!

Thankssssssss !!! thankssssssssss!!!thanksssssssssssssss!!!

leyni2000

Smile Try this Perl-Script!

Hi,

since yesterday i had the same problem. Then i found a cgi/perl-script.

CHECK THIS: http://www.k2w.f2s.com/software/

You can use it for flash, director and html. There´s a good readme and many examples.

Good Luck, Ralph

r.leyendecker@quarkspeise.de
    http://www.quarkspeise.de

yes, you have to use Load Variables to a URL.
    also
    - The URL should point to a CGI script.
    - The CGI script should have permissions set so that it's executable by everybody.
    - If you're on IE 4.x for Mac you have to use GET. POST doesn't work.

Thanks leyni2000 and K.A.R.L. 2000 for replying to my problem!!!

>>Can u tell me how the whole thing work if lets say i got a game.fla , a cgi/perl-script and a scorekeeper.fla.
    >>How to load the scores from the game.fla to appear on the scorekeeper
    >>Must the game file and the scorekeeper file to be merge into a same file??
    >>How if i got a few games??

>> i hope someone can show me in detail how to do all this !!!how to link up the three files??

>> thanksss!!!
    >>please !!! someone please step forward!!!
    i really need help !!!!!!!

Lightbulb

You don't have to hold the scores in a database... For most games, a text file is fine. Right now on my arcade, I have a PHP script running which simply takes a few arguments (Game, Password, PlayerName, Score), checks them against a text file, and inserts the new info if needed, returning a list of the scores. The main thing to remember is how to pass the variables:

* If you call the GetURL from your main timeline, ALL of your global variables will be passed!

* If you call the GetURL from a movie clip, all variables local to that clip will automatically pass.

* The script itself must return values in URL-encoded format, for example, "name1=Someone&score1=19&name2=Thatone&score2=12.. .etc"

I really can't give you any detailed instructions, as I don't know how the script you're using is configured... But basically the most efficient way to do it is to use a special movie clip for highscores (Or just a general function library clip), set the variables you need in that clip, then call the script via GetURL inside that clip.

Also, the flash movie MUST be on the same server as the script, or it won't load... Security thing...

As for the seperate fla's, you probably don't need them. All of my games have the scoring code embedded right into the main movie. My suggestion is that you just take a good look at the scorekeeper.fla, figure out exactly how it works, and decide how much of it you need.

Oh, and if you know anything about Perl or PHP, I suggest you write your own script... It's always best to know exactly what's going on behind the scenes...