A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I need help with a movieclip

Hi,

I'm having trouble with something that should be very easy. I have a button on one side of the stage and a movieclip on the other. All I want is to have the movieclip play when there is a mouseover on the button. I put what I think is the proper actionscript on the button. Which is:

On (rollover)
    tellTarget ("/mcname")
    play

I have also tried many other variations but I am getting
    nowhere. Will someone please tell me the exact
    actionscript I should be using? I just recently
    switched from Flash 4 to Flash 5 and the Flash 5 actionscript seems more confusing. But, I couldn't get
    it to work in Flash 4 either.

Thanks

Maybe I Can Help

spatula
    maybe i can help. i just got help on a similar situation earlier today. the only difference was i was loading an external swf file into a movie clip, but the premise is the same

can you just on mouse rollover use the load movie action and in the target box, specify the name of the movie clip you want to load? I don't know if this exactly willhelp, but maybe if you play around with this function, you'll figure it out. hope i've been more helpful, and less confusing.

did you name the instance on the stage where you have the tell target action? you have to give the instancee a name (not /movieclip, it should just be movieclip) then you can use the target editor to make sure that flash is seeing it there.

what is it doing when you rolloveer?nothing or what?

Hi,

Thanks, you guys. I appreciate the quick responses to
    my question.

To tammit1971:

Yes, I did name the movieclip. I also tried the actionscript both with and without the / before the name
    of the movieclip. I originally created and was working with the file in Flash 4 where on rollover it did nothing.
    I then opened it in Flash 5 and tried it out and on rollover in the "test movie" mode it says that it can not find the instance name. However, I checked and made sure that the instance name was correct and spelled right and everything so I don't know what to do. What and where is the "target editor"?

Thanks

make sure your have put the name here. and that it shows there(the circles)in the images.

Everything checks out, I have it all there like you say it
    should be, but when I test it it says:

Target not found: Target="eyeclip2" Base="_level0"

My e-mail is under my footer. I can fix it most likely if you want to send it to me (the fla)