dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Business Laws ???

Couldn't really find a suitable forum for this...

I'm 17 years old, and at school/sixth form studying for A levels.

I'm into web design as a hobby, but do paid work, and have a website advertising web-design.

Should I have registered as a business or gone through any legal procedures? Someone suggested I only needed to if I was actually selling goods, or if I was doing it as a full time job, but I'm not sure... I can't find much info about this anywhere, so I'm hoping someoen out here can help.

Thanks,

Danny

Come on!

Doesn't matter... I found out elsewhere.

Smile okay...where?

so what did you find out? r u going to the slammer for tax evasion?

hehe!

Well, as long as you don't make more than about 4,000 you don't have to pay tax, and there's a similar limit to pay National Insurance. You don't have to register as a business unless you want to, so basically, if you keep a record of what you work you do, and it's not more than a few thousand, you don't have to do anything. If you do make more than a few grand, you'll have to inform the tax office and have an accountant check your books, and you'll pay tax (and National Insurance).

Hope that helps, it helped me!

Danny
    http://www.dantup.com!

thats true if you go to school, however its different if you work already and earn over your tax free allowance ie 4900 per year. if you do then your effectavly having another income which should be taxed at the higher rate of 32% this is because you are already over your tax free limit and although its from another source its equates to a greater income for yourself. Dan your fine in what your doing but others might not be so it might be best to check it out.

Info from a Financial Adviser

Danny

Wow, I posted that almost a year ago!!

I never did anything about it in the end, but if I do any web design, I'll probably ask Steve to do it through UK Web Sales Ltd, cos he knows all sorts of business junk (and has a reg. business name!)