A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: professional webdesign: Fireworks vs. Photoshop

Hi,

I have both Fireworks and Photoshop and know how to do the basic stuff. But I would like to invest time to reach a more advanced level and take some online courses at http://www.r35.com/edu/ or http://www.sessions.edu.

For professional use in webdesign (not for print), is Photoshop the only way to go or would Fireworks also be a good choice? I don't know enough about both programs, so I would like to get your opinions.

Thanks for any hints!

vestaxboy

Smile

I would go with photoshop. It is the industry standard (for graphic design). And, while it may not be the best web graphics program, it is the best graphics program. And, although you say that you are only going to do web graphics now, you may later want to do print graphics and it would be dumb to close those doors. When I first started doing graphics, I said: "I only want to do web sties." But now I do everything from Billboards to T-shirts. Peace,

I'd be inclined to agree - Photoshop seems to me to be a much more robust tool for image manipulation, despite the fact that I use both Photoshop and Fireworks in tandem for creating web graphics.

Given it's roots in design, you're also more likely to find a great Photoshop instruction class than you are Fireworks (I could be wrong on this, as it probably all depends on the instructor anyhow).

Best,

:)

I'm very biased toward Photoshop simply because it's a standard and version 6 is just a revolutionary leap in terms of vector capability that I'm sure will be enhanced in the future making flash design that much easier... but in my humble opinion, I think photoshop first, and other programs like fireworks as supplimentary...

also, i believe it will be a lot easier to get a job with a master level skill in photoshop than fireworks.. photoshop is just a hugely broad application...

thanks

Hi,

thanks to all of you! If you are not sure which way to go, other opinions really help. I will follow your advice and go with Photoshop ...

Flashkit is really a great forum.

you should really learn photoshop, it's save for web option is great for compressing graphics for the web.

fireworks is great for laying out and slicing up webpages and navigation, stuff like that

Smile

I would definately invest in a seat of Adobe Photoshop and of Fireworks! I am a professional web designer, and in my opinion, they are both great. Each has it's own strenghts. Photoshop, which has always been the standard for creating great graphics, does just that and allows you to do them in just about any color mode. The power of channels, which Photoshop utilizes, makes it the breadwinner.

On the other hand, Photoshop has very crummy image optimization for the web. Even Adobe's attempt at it, "ImageReady" is not really sufficient. ImageReady does have a very convenient slice setup, but when it outputs the images to .jpg and .gif, (which you'll be using for the web), you'll see that it's not nearly the workhorse that Fireworks is.ImageReady's files are usually about twice the size (optimized) as Fireworks. Fireworks has impressed me from the day I started using it with it's easy slicing, easy designation of image types and even it's ability to spit out all of the images, with the .html code for you.

No, I don't work for Macromedia, nor am I payed to advertise for them, but I will tell you that it's one of the best computer products i've ever used.

Hail, the great Fireworks!
    -Marty

thanks again

Thanks for your opinion, moconnor. I mostly used fireworks for my daily work, because it seemed to be very handy for web graphics. I will concentrate on Photoshop at first, but will keep on using fireworks. I could not find any online design class using fireworks, but there seem to be some good Photoshop classes.

wow...I have always been faithful to both photoshop and Imageready, and thought this was the best combination ,but after reading what moconnor said about compression, I decided to check it out...And it's true!! damn!
    From now on it's photoshop and fireworks for me!
    One question though...Is fireworks using a different codec for compressing? This must be a major setback for Adobe!?

i'm glad I found this thread

I use Photoshop 5 and just went to Photoshop 6. I also use Fireworks 4. FW 4 and PS 6 are starting to look a lot a like. However, from driving both engines I really enjoy Photoshop more out of the two. I know a graphic designer at Dark Horse Comics in town and he uses Macromedia Freehand 90% of the time and uses photoshop when he has to touch up photos. With new vector capabilities being added to PS6 it looks like its getting closer to the "be all graphics tool."
    I've seen Freehand and Flash Five packaged together for $150 bucks. That's cheap for industry standard tools.

My big question to all of you (and please email me the answer: mark@burgettsys.com ) is how the hell do you get to the LINE TOOL in Photoshop 6. I cant find the frigging thing since I've went from 5 to 6. I found it in HELP so I now its still a feature. Doesn't appear in the tool palette.

The line tool is now under shapes(U)...And that is one of the things that really annoys me with PS6.. Line is now a vectorshape, and you have to rasterize it before you can do anything with it...grr.. One thing though, turn off "show extras" to view it properly..

Tippa

resolved Photoshop and other programs

Well, i've been working with Photoshop a long time now, (I started with R.2.5) now i'm afraid i just can't think in a way around Photoshop. Other programs are good in a way or another, Photopaint by corel has some virtues that Photoshop doesn't. so i use both
    Fireworks i find a little anoying since i'm used to Photoshop's layout, but Hey! if it's better than Image ready in some aspects, then i use it as well.
    But i'm stuck with Adobe Definitely.

thanks mate

Originally posted by Tippa
    One thing though, turn off "show extras" to view it properly.. Tippa
    Do you mean uncheck all 6 of those boxes?
    Hey wouldn't it be cool if the product marekting design guys at Macromdeia admitted to doing all the covers with Photoshop. Like a picture of them 4 years after with their shoulders slumped down and the caption, "Yeah, its true."

PHOTPSHOP all the way

Angry Photoshop and Imageready

Photoshop combined with image ready is one of the deadliest web combinations around!

I am a die hard Fireworks fan. You got a problem with that punk?

Hi bummer1,

thanks for the input, I'd be interested in the following:

What can fireworks do which photoshop can't and vice versa?
    Moconnor already mentioned firework's better web compression ... Anything else?

DJ_SFinKz
    There is one thing to remember when you are buying one of these two...price. If you are realy serious price is not realy a issue.

I don't know about you but here in australia photoshop is about half a grand more expensive.

Hope this helps.

yeah.. if u want to learn it fast tho.. fireworks will take u a day to become comfortable.. photoshop.. may take a couple months to get used to it..

jastor

i really don't know what the fuzz is really about. if someone finds fireworks better than image ready, then it's ok. if you're a die hard fan, then that's for the better. i happen to be more than die hard fan of photoshop. it took me a week to learn it, and the respective releases took me only a day or two. i'm not a computer wizard, but when you like what you do, you find that things are more easy to learn. as it happens, i started working as a graphic designer long before going to the university. i graduated 6 years ago now, and since graphic design is the thing i most like, i went through my years at that career with some ease.
    that's because i'm in so love with my career. the same goes with computer software. there are lot's of ppl who find fireworks better than photoshop, fine! i would say though that that goes only for the web, and web is not the whole life. if i do something for example, for gatorade, (as i'm doing it right now) i wouldn't use less than a very powerful software (yeah, photoshop) if i think about using fireworks for it, then i should sell my computer and start playing footbal instead.
    just be happy with fireworks, or photoshop, or whatever you use. but think about the media you are using it for. i know, i know, some would say that this forum is for web design only, for me, it's just a part of the whole spectrum of desing.