A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: A question concerning Vecta3d...

I was just curious, what are the main differences between Vecta3d (http://www.vecta3d.com/) and Swift 3d? I was looking into buying a 3d flash program, and came across Swift 3d, then I found Vecta 3d. If any could clear some of this up for me I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

I have both the Vecta3D-MAX plug-in and Swift3D.

Easy choice - Swift 3D.

In addition to better rendering technology, Electric Rain excels in customer support. Every time I find a bug - they fix it quickly. In one instance, I ran into a show-stopping error. One of the E-Rain founders, John Soucie, jumped right into the problem and quickly diagnosed it as a bug in Flash.

He worked with Macromedia support and my understanding is that the bug fix should be in Flash 5. Ideaworks3D (the creators of Vecta3D) rarely answer my e-mail. In one instance regarding a bug in the MAX plug-in, I offered to mail them the MAX scene on CD so they could diagnose and fix the error. Just give me a name and address ... never heard back from them.

I've rendered over 700 models with Vecta3D-MAX and am generally unimpressed with quality vs. Swift 3D. The Vecta standalone is better quality than the MAX plug-in. I don't think it's near as good as Swift 3D, but that's my personal opinion.

The entire software industry could take a lesson from Electric Rain in customer support.

hth

Thanks...

Wow, sounds like an easy choice hands down...hehe.

Thanks for your help on this issue, even though Swift 3d costs a little more, it sounds like it should be worth the money. I'm pretty impressed with the trial (Vecta 3d doesn't even have a trial). I've also seen a lot more praise about Swift 3D than I have of Vecta 3d, in fact, I haven't heard anymore about Vecta 3d since it's release some time ago.

Anyway, thanks again!

I also agree strongly with thematrix being an owner of both

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

DemolitionMan:

We can arrange an experiment if you like. It seems you have downloaded the Swift3D trial. Send me a .3DS file of a scene that interests you. I will render it with Vecta3D-MAX and send you the .SWF. You can compare file size and quality.

I don't know if the Vecta standalone is any better than the plug-in with regard to file size, but they are generally quite large with Vecta, often requiring extensive manual optimization.

Best of luck to you!