A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: FLASH 5 CRASHES

Is anyone else having a problem using Flash 5 and having it crash ALL THE TIME. It crashes no matter what I do. I've uraised the memory for it, I dont run any other programs during it. My movies are not big at all.
    Is there a fix? Can someone please help me?!!!!!

You need to provide a little more information, like what kind of computer are you using Mac or PC. Is it a 166, 200, 500 megahertz--how much ram. And if you are using a pirated version of Flash 5. There are known issues on the Mac. These have been addressed at length on the Macromedia support site.

Mac OS9
    G4
    256...dual processor 500mhz
    tried turning off extensions,
    gave more memory to flash
    Actual program, not pirated...I am waiting to hear back from support at Macromedia, but I thought this post might get a quicker response...and it did.

Still need help tho

me 2

having similiar problems
    drewtopia@yahoo.com

Have you checked the tech notes at the Macromedia support site? Just do a search for something like Flash 5 Mac problem. One of the tech notes mentions an interaction on the Mac with virus detection programs, another addresses problem extensions and preferrences, there are other problems such as certain graphic card driver problems (You didn't mention which one your unit is using). Check through the tech notes, they are pretty extensive.

Yup I checked Macromedia's help section.....The only thing I found was that Mac's Game sprockets could be the conflict, version 1.7.5 causes crashes with Flash. But when I checked my system profile I have version 1.7.3 installed, which is what Macromedia recommends to avoid conflicts......So I thought I would just download version 1.7.3 from Apples site and install it again, however Apple is only offering version 1.7.5 to download!

still waiting for Macromdedia tech support to get back to me....still need help

thanks, need directions

i went to macromedia and could not find any technotes on the mac and flash5...could you give me the url.

thanks much,

drewtopia@yahoo.com

Their site is all flashed so urls don't do any good. Try going to the flash support site and entering a search, while you're there join the newsgroup--alot of good information gets exchanged. There are pages of entries.

Terrible Flash 5 Crashing Problems!

Hello,

I am running Flash 5 on a Windows 98 PII 350mhz system.

I am experiencing several crashes.

They first started when I was taking the lessons under the HELP menu. I noticed that once I was done with one lesson, and loaded in another..Flash would crash with this message:

FLASH caused an invalid page fault in module FLASH.EXE at 0187:00882242. I would then have to restart Flash.

Then on the next run I'd constantly get messages that Flash is busy, retry.

Later on when I tried the lesson under the HELP menu for sound, trying to play the sound worked at first, and then didn't consistently.

Now simply using Flash 5 results in sluggish behavior which ends up with Flash locking up.

Even after I use the ctrl-alt-del menu to "end task" for Flash, all of Windows then locks up and I noticed that Flash was still on the ctrl-alt-del list even though I had exited the program.

I contacted Macromedia support and they had me copy the Flash installation CD to my desktop and then reinstall Flash while in Windows Safe Mode. Then I tried to run Flash in Safe Mode. I still got the same crashes.

Sometimes now Flash simply crashes as soon as I run it!

ARRGH!

Other things I tried were to install the latest ActiveX and updates for Windows from Microsoft. I also ran Norton Win Doctor on my PC to search for problems...

I'm running lots of software already and everything works fine. I've got PhotoShop 5.5, Dreamweaver 2.0, Digidesign Protools LE, Sound Forge 4.5, and lots and lots of other programs. Like I said, they all work fine.

Can anyone help me to get Flash 5 working properly? I have a hunch there is some small program/file I need to install to get Flash to work properly?

Anyways... HELP!

- Mike
    iBot774

I have a dual PIII 800 with 256 MB of RAM with Flash 5.
    I have lots of graphic and audio program as well.
    I had Flash 5 installed on my new machine for about a month and started noticing freeze ups and slower response times from Flash.
    I was lucky that I use a program called SystemSuite 3.0 from Ontrack and everytime I installed a program I set it to monitor the install.
    I started uninstalling programs and found it was the combination of a program called Zone Alarm and my graphics tablet.
    Uninstalling Zone Alarm seemed to improve the situation, but not a lot.
    I started uninstalling again and found the real culprit. If you have a tablet, chances are that is your problem.
    I tried it on my other machine, a PII 450 with different programs, but the same tablet and noticed the same problem.
    Something seems to be amiss with the drivers and Flash.
    I have tried different combinations of software, but everytime I install the tablet software, Flash 5 becomes unstable. Hope this helps.

Tablet At Fault?

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I'll go and try uninstalling my tablet software and see what happens.

- iBot
    Mike

Smile Re: Tablet At Fault?

Beamerboy,

I removed my Wacom tablet from my system and now Flash 5 appears to be working well.

THANK YOU! WOOHOO!

I figure if I need to use my tablet, my guess is I also need the latest drivers for it.

- iBot774
    Mike

Wink Windows 2000 and Flash crashes

To All Windows 2000 users,

If you do not have a tablet or removing the drivers does not solve your problem, another solution is to use your EVENT VIEWER.
    You will find the Event Viewer under the following:
    Settings --> Control Panel -->Admin Tools
    Once you open Event Viewer, Click on System Log and look for any Error warnings.
    If you do not know what to look for, a suggestion would be, especially if you see lots of Errors, Save Log file, Clear All Events, reboot machine, start Flash and as soon as you crash in Flash, go back to Event Viewer, write down Error(s), and phone Macromedia Support.
    The Macromedia Support crew are a great bunch and providing you actually own the software, will go to a great extent to try and help you.

[Edited by Beamerboy on 01-21-2001 at 09:38 PM]

crash on mac

okay so i turned off my extensions and no crashes, but you know what i have so many extensions that i do not know which ones to even turn on or off, is there some guide to what you need or not, or what extensions do.

getting closer

thanks

Macromoedia says there is a conflict with Mac's game sprockets......They say to use version 1.7.3 not 1.7.5.....I don't know what you have installed, but you could try turning off those. Although they are used for graphics, Im thinking that Macromedia is starting to suck

mac freezes, crashes

I never had the game sprocket so wondering what other extensions make mac so vulnerable to crash with flash 5. Getting the point that I just want to buy another computer for 4 grand!...which i don't have.

Any help would be helpful

I finally got a response from Macromedia. They suggested a few things. Here is what they suggested.

1) APPEARANCE - Try changing appearance to basic platinum, and test Flash.

2) TEMP FILES - If system 9+ is installed there is a known issue with MacOS
    9 not deleting temporary
    items. The following technote on Apple's web site includes a link to a
    compiled AppleScript which will automatically delete such unused temp files.

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n25134

Run this, restart and see if the performance improves. Again, this is a
    problem with the os - you may want to run this application periodically.

3) ENVIRONMENT AND BACKGROUND INFO - What is the file size, size of any
    audio and if used, any fonts used and if so what fonts, has the file been
    cross-platform?

4) SOUND PANEL - Some users have reported that working with the Sound Panel
    completely closed eliminated crashes or lockups.

The last one about the Sound Panel actually worked for me....but strangely the stupid panel keep popping back up randomly....if I don't notice it and close it Flash crashes.

I'm going to reply to Macromedia and see what they say.