A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: tell target puzzle

I found a great tutorial on how to create scrolling text on mouse over. I followed everything and was doing fine until I just couldn't figure out how to get this script

end tell target
    end on
    where can I locate it?

the full script went like this

on(rollOver)
    begin tell target ["name goes here"]
    play
    end tell target
    end on
    On[rollout]
    etc etc

because I couldn't get this I couldn't add the mouse out script. I am using flash 5.

thankyou
    jen

jen,

so you can't get the on mouse event syntax to come up or you can't locate the target name?

If you are having problems getting the on mouse event syntax associated with a button you may need to minimize the actions box and make sure you have clicked on the button, or object used for the event. Then double click on the tell target action.

If your problem is locating the target name you need to do two things:

1) on your main time line make sure the MC (movie clip) has an instance name. Click once on the MC and select the instance window from either the window menu at the top of the screen or in you display boxes at the right. Type in an instance name like "test", or "help" (without the quotes)

2) to assign that target to your action script go back to your button and select it, open the actions window and select the tell target action. In the target box simply click once to get a blinking cursor then either click on the sybol at the bottom of the actions window that looks like a scope cross hair or type in the name of the MC you did in step one.

If you need more help e-mail me at txfrog1999@hotmail.com I'd be happy to help!

TxFrog1999

thanks Frog, actually I can't locate the syntax in the actions window, can't locate:

end tell target
    end on

where are they? is this a flash 5 thing? the tutorial was for flash 4

I managed everything else i.e naming the instance, labels etc

tq
    Jen

Jen,

Yes it is a Flash 5 problem. Since you are using Flash 4 syntax in Flash 5 try this:

to get the targeted MC to play:

on(rollOver)
    tellTarget("target")
    play

Then to get the target to stop add another tell target command:

on(rollOut)
    tellTarget("target)
    stop

or you can replace the play and stop commands with goto or any other action or MC property...

Hope that helps!