A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Do I need to include Flash Player on a CD

I am creating a tool for sales and I don't know what they are running on their machines. Would it be easier if I include a Flash Player on the CD that the Flash Movie is on. Being that I have no control over their environments I have to put something on the CD with the movie.

SPY

projector

hi, if its for a cd then u can publish your movie in its own player, called a flash projector, u will see it in the publish settings, this creates your file in its own player, so the flash plugin will not be needed on the clients machine

hope this helps

Hi Spy

I think this would depend on how you are building your "sales tool". If you are creating a browser based CD, where the clients browser will run the flash files then I would think, yup include an option to load the flash 'plug-in' would be a good idea.

I am sure there are scripts on flashkit somewhere to autodectect if the flash plug-in is loaded or not. You'll have to live up to your name (spy) and go find them, I don't know where they are located exactly.

You could also consider creating the flash as a projector stand alone player where no browser or plug-in is needed. This is assuming that the "sales tool" requires no browser support and is a complete flash project.

On the second option you would need to know which platform the clients are using Windows or Mac. Though providing for both platforms would be advisable.

Hope this helps..I ain't no guru, am still a newbie, but it is about time I at least attempted to give some input back at flashkit.

Regards

Paul

spy

usually the best thing to do for a cd is make a seperate projector file that will play when inserted into the cd. on your flash movie go to Publish Settings you will see a box for making a standalone exe file click on that one. there is also a box for a mac file. here's the catch on the mac verison. it will make a ziped file for mac users. they have to uncompress it and play it by hand.

after you have a standalone exe flash file you need to make another file. most people use notepad and here is the text

[autorun]
    open=nameofflashfile.exe

nameofflashfile = whatever name you have made your file

save this file as

autorun.inf

now when someone inserts the cd into a puter it will come up by it's self. in case they do have the autrun feature turned off it is usually a good idea to put something on the cd label to the effect of Start Run d:nameofflashfile

hope this helps

Bob S.

hmmmmm

i am sure i said about the projector thingy in my first reply

lol

maybe not in enough detail

CapTy99.com Webmaster
    i would do it just in case something goes wrong.

Thanks

Thanks so much to all of you. Your advice really helped.
    spy