A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: agents

Talking

Has anyone every heard of talent agents. Not just headhunters but people who do for web designers/developers what the athlete agents do for athletes? Anything close?

I haven't heard of "agents," per se, as I would have an agent representing me and my paintings through a gallery. I do have a similar relationship with a lady at the place I contract with to teach, however. As well as making sure I get first pick on certain class dates, she also keeps her eyes open for opportunities that might work for me outside of the company. In return for her preferential treatment, I make sure that I sell her and the company (and that leads to greater commissions for her). A little gift to her every now and again also helps.

So it's not so much that she is my Agent, rather, we have developed an informal agent/ artist relationship having worked with each other over a year or two. It's a good thing, come to think of it.

I think the field is too new...there are still some old style reps that promote artists for the purpose of making them stars in the industry, but they are few and far between.You have to work with any talent agent to promote yourself in any case.
    The stars in this industry seem to just have put it out there themselves.

Grumpy with the world I am.

So on that note, do you have any words of wisdom? After 6 years of school it became painfully evident that being good at something is not enough. After some thought this is what I have come up with.
    No one knows I exist to give me a job! So I have applies to 208 companies in the past 2 months and nothing.

I know that every likes to say its all about marketing yourself. Thanks, but take it a step further for me... anyone. How do the people actually making a living in this field do it?

Thanks for the comments so far.

Cam

caithness massiv
    a head-hunter is what you are looking for...

they will solicit your services for a cut of your pay... until they get you a job, their services are free...

i've heard that most of them actually do a really good job... mainly because they have lots of contacts

Talking Hey thanks

Your a hell of a guy agent vivid. Colorado has but one company I can find in this area and they are getting nothing. The main players in the area are ATT, QUEST and Quark Xpress. Quark has flat out turned me down because of http://www.dollen.com and IT is not really my bag. If you have special resources on the subject do share. Otherwise thanks for effort.

I got a new channel on the old cable box called tech TV. Its is cool. The news portion of the day reported that tech , design and graphics jobs are drying up do to the recent performance of stock market. Not to mention all of the .com's drying up. If you get digital cabel you should look for the channel. It is a good one. While on the subject you should have a look at ONE magazine. It is a great design magazine that just launched... sheesh I should do marketing work for them )

cam