A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash vs. the Competition?

Flash vs. the Competition?

For those who have used other design programs BESIDES Flash...

I am getting into web design (specifically looking to start using animation) and I was wondering if Flash is the best for beginners, OR, if I should consider software such as Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Director, etc...

I am proficient in Photoshop and Illustrator (if it matters)

If you have personal opinions (pros or cons) about the other software, I'd be happy to listen as well.

Thanks in advance!

MV

War is futile: just drink beer phooka's Avatar
    Each one of the programs that you just quoted are wonderful, but they are not used for the same purposes... For example, I am a flash addict but I need Dreamweaver 3 to create my basic HTML layouts and add JavaScript, while I use Paint Shop Pro or Adobe Photoshop to work with graphics and edit pics...

And especially refering to Dreamweaver, Director, Fireworks or Flash, there is not competition because they belong to the same company! Is like comparing Bovril and Marmite: they are made in the same factories!

BTW, Dreamweaver 4 seems to be including a bit of flash, so I suppose in the future the trend seems to make more compact programs instead of a pleyade of them...

Regards,
    david

(duplicate post - deleted)
    [Edited by MikeyVee on 01-24-2001 at 10:10 PM]

ok... soooo... ?????

Flash is good for me as a beginner?

Or, should I use Dreamweaver? How much Flash is included (i.e. can I use it instead of Flash itself)?

...I'm just looking for basic animation/sound

Flash is dead easy to learn and there is not a lot of competition when it comes to publishing multimedia animations incorporating sound onto the web or desktop.
    I suggest learning this or Adobe Live Motion which apparently does the same. Never used the later because surely Macromedia creates a better programs for publishing to its own technology.

thanks for the info... I'll check out adobe's product as well to make the informed decision