A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Music: an excuse?

War is futile: just drink beer phooka's Avatar

Cool

Hi there! with a few exceptions, I believe that music in web sites is under-used. And in the cases it is used, it seems to have none or little coherence with the contents...

I mean: if I have sound effects, they normally react to an event (it can be a pressed button, reaching a frame, etc). If I have symbols, they normally appear when they have to appear.

But: music seems to simply be there, as either an intrusive loop or streamed (a much better approach IMHO).

However, Flash 5 gives us tools to control music in a wonderful manner. By using old techniques like layering with the new sound controllers, and with the help of mp3 compressions, we could create immersive sound worlds that react to the actions of the user!

Is music the new frontier to conquer with flash?

Regards,
    David

I agree, I think that the next few years with increasing
    bandwidth will allow some really interesting media transformations, namely smoother more intricate projects.

Being a musician, I can't wait to be able to do some really
    complexed compositions, ala ProTools etc, etc.

As for Flash 5, got it, but not too good yet, I'm more a graphic designer and have been lost in Photoshop land.

Rogue

War is futile: just drink beer phooka's Avatar
    Neither I am good at it! But I see the new features in it, I try them and I think wow! I could do this and that! I am creating a loop with a tracker (modplug) and I am planning on making 6 channels for a 128 loop. I will import them (independently) to my swf and let the user play with them: fade on/off, right to left and all these goodies! It seems stupid (and probably is) but I want the user to be entertained...

I am a musician too (coming from classical backgrounds, I started piano at 8 years old) and I am really looking forward to make stg cool with music and flash...

Regards,

streaming sound

hope you dont mind hearing my 2c worth
    but i am using streaming sound on my site.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/t.griffin/idweb3.htm

hey phooka!
    this is a really good topic. i mean when i do site checks and here the same sounds for every site, regardless of content, feel, look, etc. basically the hard, house, bumpin' jumpin' techno beats. that's not a bad thing when used apporpriately. sound is an important element. either there is sound or lack of sound. sound should be considered as important as the images, font, colors you use in your site. in many ways i've seen it make or break a site. flash 5's new sound capabilites give me the urge to add some, but i will be as critical with the sound as i am with every element i choose.

acQuired brAin
    I guess it is what makes media multimedia (sound, vision & interactivity) I believe it is a under used commodity but have trouble convincing clients of this.
    One more thing I believe that it needs to be done well REAL well.

When including music in a Flash movie, you have to take into consideration your target audience.

Flash is supposed to be a streaming media (it was not meant to have preloaders).

If you are targeting broadband users, music is fine, they have a fast enough connection to listen to streamed music but if you are targeting people with dial up connections, you may encounter a few problems when trying to stream.

FK Times - Editor in Chief
    My Good Little Birdie

I agree with 8-8 - Music can make or break a site! I've been told by MANY people (phooka included) that my site wouldnt be the same without the awesome background loop I found!!! And phooka your in-progress site uses sound great!!! I've never seen a site that uses voices so well!!! Not even Grafika comes close!!!

I tried to do something different

I agree with phooka that music in Flash needs to move beyond the single background loop that's common now. With Flash 5, you can fade a loop in or out whenever you want, which is huge. You can have different music in different sections, and crossfade them in Actionscript. But who's doing this?

I did something similar in Flash 4. Check out http://www.axis-media.com. I did all the Flash work and audio design for the site, recording most of the sounds from my keyboard, guitar, and celtic whistle.

Each section has its own "music", actually a sonic texture composed of samples which play quasi-randomly and overlap each other in changing combinations. There are no "four-on-the-floor" beats in the site; it's all sort of minimalist Brian Eno-like ambiance.

The sound manipulation would have been much easier in Flash 5, but we worked in Flash 4 for compatibility reasons. Most of the sound samples are panned, faded, cropped, or enveloped in some way, but I had to "hard code" it all, and make it seem more dynamic than it is.

I'm planning to do a Flash 5 interface for my own site that has true dynamic sound interaction in Actionscript. Probably a 3D interface where the volume and panning of each object's sound is determined by its position relative to the camera. We'll see if it's completed before Flash 6 arrives.

robertpenner: i really liked your side...i would love to be able to use sound that way, but i'm a complete idiot when it comes to music ^-^ for my homepage my most ambitious goal was pretty much not to scare anyone with it
    i can't wait till people start working on sound as much as they do on graphics (there are so many possibilities like having music change with distance or color)
    but i think that ambienty/relaxing music is going to be mostly used that way (i guess bec. its easier to manipulate)...oh man, no more of the hard techno beats ;]