A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: odd shapes colision

How do you check for colision of odd-shapes with out hardcoding the points. for example a mountain with a slop, I want to check the outlines of the mountains against my player and to see that he doesn't HIT the mountain edge. is it possible in flash? assume that the mountain has more then one curve so it's not a cyrcle but an odd shape, that I want to know it's outline with out hand coding the points.

thanks for your help,

balishake

Really the only thing to do is to make your irregular shapes out of a bunch of little regular shapes. Like make your mountain borders out of a bunch of squares or circles then run loops for the collision.

brad

Isn't there any other way of making it? in that game gigablast they made some odd shapes. building it from small shapes will not cut it for what I want to do. it's like extra steps for something that should be easier then that...

anyone else with an Idea on solving this?

thanks!

balishake

Senior Moderator
    For curves and irregualr shapes you can use radius detection and also build up the shapes from triangle detection,circle detction and foursided detction!!!

need any of the code and ill post it,just ask!!!

I'm asking any information would help out here guys... thankd for all the great help!

balishake