A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: linking to other pages on site in explorer

can't get get url to work in explorer 4.5 for link to page on same site

Help. I'm writing my first all flash site but have run into a snag. When i try to link to another page on the site i get the message, file not found, in explorer4.5 in netscape i get no problems. I've used the Get URL action and index.html for the link but it can't find the file!?Funny thing is when i try to link to a url off the site it works it only fails when i try to connect to a page on the site.thanks slack
    [Edited by kevinb on 07-19-2000 at 11:24 AM]

Re: can't get get url to work in explorer 4.5 for link to page on same site

Another quality post.

[Edited by Scills on 07-21-2000 at 08:19 PM]

Re: Re: can't get get url to work in explorer 4.5 for link to page on same site

it seems jsarge never began anything or needed help. i did solve this problem moments later by changing to an abs url but the issue is are we here to help each other? perhaps jsarge can check out two of my primative but growing sites, maybe someday you will need someone elses help i hope they don't think it trival. two of my site http://www.tinkersworkshop .org and http://www.wenet.net/~kevinb peace and slack kevinb
    Originally posted by jsarge
    Another quality post.

Sweet mother of God, won't you all just die.

Yes, we *are* all here to help each other. But there comes a point where someone has to turn around and say "I refuse to try and decode your badly written, information bereft post".

"Funny thing is when i try to link to a url off the site it works it only fails when i try to connect to a page on the site"

Punctuation is a wonderful invention.

"The funny thing is, tho - It works fine for links to URLs on other sites. It only fails when I connect to a page on my own site. For example, a GetURL to index.html fails, but http://www.othersite.com/index.html works fine"

is just *so* much easier to read, don't you think?

Yes, the response was a little OTT, and your post was by no means the worst I've seen on the site, but come on - a sentence like

"When i try to link to another page on the site i get the message, file not found, in explorer4.5 in netscape i get no problems"

really is a pile of poo. I don't care if you are a coder/designer - if you want help then ask for it in a way that other people can at least understand. By taking your time over the post, you might well work it out for yourself by the time you're ready to hit submit. Especially if you tell us what you've already tried and what happened.