A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How would you go about this: Advertising and partners

Wichser
    (hey my first post in the Boardroom, how cool)

Now how would you target this situation best to make sure it'll get you the best results:
    Let's say I have a site that I want to go commercial with, and I want to use banners on it on various genres.

What would you do to get banners to your site that pay?
    How to contact other companies or sites (email...?)?
    What to tell them and what not...?

I have never done that but I am looking into getting this done so I would really appreciate your help on this one.

In case you get traffic on your site and you contact possible sponsors (through banner), what should the contract look like what MUST be in the contract etc.

Share your experience with me please,

thanks
    iCEBERG

Short answer is: Not easily.

FK banners don't even come close to paying for the sites infrastructure and staff.

Best to try:

http://www.flycast.com
    http://www.burstnet.com

and when your site is bigger ie > 1 M views a month, try http://www.doubleclick.com.

It's not going to make you rich though, the best advertising model I've seen for highly targeted eye balls is http://www.clickz.com . Although the site is on the internet, only media buyers go there, hence the high prices they charge.

Wichser
    hey scills,
    thanks for the links I will check them out now.

Thing is:
    I know I could not get rich of it, but maybe it could pay my provider fees or give me little extra money on the side.

The thing is, I really need to promote the site in order to get hits, and when I have hits there is the possibility of maybe having banners paying a little money.

i just went to a site where they were asking 250 dollars a month. It was an ASP resource, I don't know if that would be appropriate but the site didn't look good at all, but then Matts script archive gets a lot of hits and doesn't look good neither.

I'll defenitely put a Flashkit banner ad up for free, as i am getting so much help here and I just love this place

I don't want pop ups on the site, but maybe there is a chance of promoting the site so it'll get some hits. We'll see and I'll let you know, maybe it's nothing good after all.

thanks
    iCEBERG

Yep, traffic is important to make money from banners What was the $250 for ?

Wichser
    let me look for the site real quick I'll let you know,
    but it seemed a bit much to me, as that would be 500 Marks in Germany and not too shaby for having the banner up on the site
    )
    nice extra money.

I'll look for it brb lol
    iCEBERG

Wichser
    the 250 dollars was for 100,000 clicks on the banner from that asp site, I can't find it tho or I can't find the specific advertising page.

iCEBERG

Do it like we did it, build your site and donate stuff to other sites and get to know webmasters on other similar sites and exchange links on each others sites. FK didn't get listed in a search engine for its first 6 months, ie May 2000. Beg, borrow, steal, donate, charm, help, to exchange links and don't pay a cent! Also look where the banners on other similar sites are being served from and then go and see where they are ranked *burstnet has a ranking for sites that use their banners*. This helps to give you an idea of their size and hence the amount of sucking up you will need to do to get a link exchanged

Also hitbox and a few other counters have rankings too, good info to be found there too.